Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

civilian grave

PhilB

Whilst idly looking if Edith Cavell was in the CWGC register, I came across this entry:-

No Surname Rank Service Date of Death Age Regiment Nationality Grave/Memorial Ref. Cemetery/Memorial Name

1 CAVELL, EMMA Civilian 11/08/1942 77 Civilian War Dead United Kingdom MUNICIPAL BOROUGH OF DEAL

As you can see, she was 77 and I assume she died in a bombing raid.

Could someone kindly explain how she qualifies for a CWGC grave if Edith Cavell didn`t? How many civilians did get such a grave? Phil B

CWGC were given the task of remembrance of civilians killed in WW II as a result of enemy action. They do not have a similar task for WW I civilians.

Thanks, Greenwoodman. So all bombing deaths in WW2 would be listed on CWGC. Interestingly, she came up as I was searching WW1. Phil B

CWGC were given the task of recording the names of all Commonwealth civilians who died as a result of enemy action during WW2 (03.09.39 - 31.12.47).

These names are inscribed in books on display in Westminster Abbey, London and a new page is turned each day.

CWGC has no responsibility for maintaining or recording the graves of these civilians and their graves are not official war graves.

CWGC has no similar responsibility for recording WW1 civilians so killed.

The name does not come up if you search WW1. I suspect that you only thought you searched WW1. If you enter the name plus WW1 and then 'Civilian', the war field automatically reverts to 'Unknown' as these records are not 'attached' to a war.

So who does have responsibility for maintaining memorials to the civilian dead? A large memorial in a local cemetery is in severe disrepair, for instance. And was there any national policy about commemorating cvilians killed by enemy action, or was it down to local initiatives?

You got it!

Local initiatives. Local authorities usually or sometimes church authorities depending on who owns the memorial.

CWGC is only responsible for recording the names of WW2 civilians killed by enemy action - nothing else. All civilian memorials to my knowledge are 'private ventures'.