Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pilot or Not?

Cherry

Hi there,

Not sure if I'm in the correct section or not; hope so.

My question; If someone in the RFC was promoted to sergeant on the same day he qualified as a ' Pilot-

1st class' & was then sent to France (3 months later, Apr 17'), would he have actually

flown during the war or would he have done something else?

Hope my question is not bleedingly obvious.

Cherryboy.

Hi there CB

Nice name!

I guess with a name like that, you won't be placing a post on a thread on syphilis just near here. The 'Who Do You Think You Are' thread. :lol:

I think you question would be better placed in the 'War in the Air' section, but it is highly likely that your man would have been flying pretty soon after qualification and promotion.

Remember, many of these lads went out with only a limited number of hours flying experience.

I am sure one of the RFC/RAF buffs will give you a more detailed answer.

Cheers,

Dick

April 1917 has an ominious ring 'bloody April' when the RFC flying obsolescent BE2s, Dh2s etc came up against the Germans with the latest Albatross two gun fighters. Casualty rates were very high and your man was a qualified pilot and therefore extremely likely to have been used to plug the holes.

Do you have a service number for him? That will make it easier to find his RAF service record and that will show his RAF trade.

Hey there,

Thanks everyone for your replies. From all your answers it looks like he did fly in France in some capacity.

He got there on the 18th April, 1917. I do have his service number/RAF records & his trade classification does say pilot; I was unsure because it appears he spent most of his time in France, in hospital. That & I couldn't figure out his squadron (assuming he had one).

Anyway, thanks again,

Cherryboy.

A significant number of rookie pilots rushed into action to fill the gaps during Bloody April were shot down or wounded on their first or second flight. Your man could well have been one of these and spent quite a time recovering.

Back again,

Thanks Centurion, makes a lot more sense now. He arrived in France on the 18/4/17 (right in the middle of Bloody April) & is in hospital on the 21/4/17,(3 Canadian Stationary Hospital, Doullens) which is not that far from the action. So I imagine he possibly? got injured. You'd think so.

Seems to go to hospital later on as well. Least he survived the war.

Thanks again.

I do have his service number/RAF records & his trade classification does say pilot; I was unsure because it appears he spent most of his time in France, in hospital. That & I couldn't figure out his squadron (assuming he had one).

The RAF records are only really interested in his time from 1st April 1918, before then he was in the army and might have army records. If you could scan the movements section some helpful forum members may help you interpret the section. As you've confirmed he was a pilot, a post in the 'War in the Air' section will probably get more replies. There are researchers who have compiled data on both aircraft and pilots who were injured as well as killed.

Take your advice & try & scan his RFC records & post to the 'War in the Air' section.

Should've said RFC records instead of RAF for my last post.

Thanks per ardua per mare per terram!.

• 14 years later...

Interestingly I have Sgt. Cherry's Log book in my collection, and a letter mentioning service with 10 Squadron in France June / July 1917....

only operational for a very short time, not surprising reading his service record and the amount of time he spent in hospital.

cherry 1.jpg

cherry 3.jpg