Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Naming on Star

DavoT

It could be that the star is self-awarded. The Sept 1915 Army List shows a E L Parker Temp 2/Lt, 18th (Res) Bn West Yorks. If that`s him, he may not have got to the O&B in France till 1916. Does his medal card indicate a 14/15 (Or 14?)star?

I couldn't find him either!

I was going to look at our records at SOFO when I next go in..

I couldn't find him either!

Hi Kevin,

that makes me feel a little better ;). Either his card is missing or something may be amiss here?

From the scratches down the reverse of the Star it would appear to be a "scrubbed" star that Parker had engraved with his own details~possibly he suffered from "Mainwaring" syndrome having not served OS???

I have checked the OBLI chronicles for the whole of the war and cannot find a Parker.

The chronicles have the OBLI bit of the army list and also regularly list the officers in the field.

I have not checked any of the other Battalions yet, just 2ns Btn.

I have checked the records at SOFO, including the medical record that has all of the 2nd Battalion Officers in and can find no trace of Mr Parker.

It`s just (barely) possible that an OR called E L Parker qualified for the star, got commissioned after the war and decided to have his ultimate rank engraved on his star. :rolleyes:

I wonder if some sort of metal boffin could tell what was originally inscribed?

There is apparently a chance that if you x-ray the Star it will reveal the original letters, which will show up because the impressing causes thicker metal at that spot. To what extent the engraved naming will interfere with reading this is uncertain. Do you have any dentist/radiologist friends?