Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Favourite War Walk?

Mark A

It's such a nice spring day here and perfect for a walk. I was just idly wondering what people's favourite war walk is out in the fields of France and Belgium? My own favourite is a long one from the Somme: Hawthorne Crater up the sunken lane to the Redan Ridge cemetaries, then returning through Beaumont Hamel nestled in the dip. It's such a peaceful walk and some good views. My other favourite is to do the big loop around Theipval wood- Authuille then up the D151- usually with a nice sit down alongside the Ancre- again, a peaceful one with great views of the ground from Thiepval.

Any one else?

Through the Regnieville forest. Still masses to be discovered. There's an open air chapel somewhere.

Hi,

Did the Sanctuary Wood-Hooge Walk yesterday (22nd April) from Paul Reeds book it was very pleasant and the Hooge Museum is at just the right point for a little refreshment.

Brum

This March, Clive and I walked from Regina Trench along Death Valley to Boom Ravine and walked to far end and back again following route and attack of 11th Royal Fusiliers in Feb 1917.

What made it special were the conditions. It poured down and was very windy. It also sleeted at some point. It was also very cold. Never seen it like this before and it made it very hard to walk. The conditions were simular in 1917 but colder and they lay out in no mans land overnight! We were completely worn out by the end of the day. We had no heavy packs and were not being shot at! The mud clung to the bottom of our boots at least 4 inches thick!

We both agreed that we could understand how troops could just walk into a german line so exhausted that the bullets did not matter! Sounds dramatic but we could not have gone much further.

Of course the car then got stuck for a short while in the mud!

The relief of a beer at Tommies was unbelievable!

Not the most beautiful of walks but an experience never to be forgotton!

Thanks to Paul Reed for help in planning the walk.

Tony

I've been out walking the Salient with a group this week - great weather; sunny and clear, with only very light rain on one day and hot today... superb. I personally love walking the Bluff area and the Douve Valley before Messines, both of which figured on our walks this week.

On the Somme, like Mark, I also enjoy the Hawthorn Ridge area - and my own back yard in Courcelette of course!

Glad to see so many of you out there walking the ground!

What's the Douve valley like Paul? I'm not familiar with that area. Is it rural? Kirky- your experience reminds me of the first time I went to the Somme- mid February. Just unbelievably cold and windy- you just can't imagine how those men kept going can you?

M

Guest Desmond6

Paul - Would you mind telling a little bit more about your impressions of ground, slope, lines of attack/defence - in fact any thoughts which went through your mind on the Ancre/Divion/Thiepval walk you describe?

Des

Des I don't think I can do it real well, walked this w/o trench maps and truth is I don't know whose line of attack I was in! Though some of this included July 1 area of 36th Ulster Division and the uphill there is pronounced. Of course this area was in action much more than that day, 18th Division taking Thiepval itself in September. Really can't do this well w/o a guide in front of me

I did some of this with Paul Reed as a guide and have walked the Ancre valley a couple of times by myself. One reason I like it has 0 to do with the war, it's pretty. I also like the cemetery & setting of the cemetery there where there are many RND men, it's name escapes me.

Like Paul Reed I am also quite fond of the area near Courcelette because of the actions of 87th Bn Canadian Grenadier Guards v. Desire Trench & it's support trench November 18 and Regina Trench October 21.

And, as an aside, I admit to laughing aloud where immense destruction took place at the Ulstermen calling a salient in their line where some would die The Pope's Nose!

Mark A,

Couldn't agree more about Redan Ridge Cemeteries, but always turn left up to Waggon Road, a genuinely beautiful place and follow it with Munich Trench. The head out to Serre No.2 and come back along Frontier Lane. The man in the corner house in Serre always offers us a drink when he's gardening incidentally. (It's not a cafe though!)

Stephen

Stephen-

Yeah, that's a nice route. The view down to Newfoundland Park from Munich Trench really gives you an impression of the value of height for observation.

I also love the walk to the old French lines in Serre, the track that runs up behind Railway Hollow and across to the site of Tous Vent farm (sp?), then a long walk back into Serre. I did that walk a few weeks ago and was astounded by the amount of shrapnel balls on the side of the track (hence a question I posted about them in another section of this forum).

How decent of that chap to spot you a drink!

M

What's the Douve valley like Paul? I'm not familiar with that area. Is it rural?

It is; almost untouched by development and all the features easy to pick out with a trench map of the area. I walk our tour groups from North and South Midland Farms, down to Ration Farm and La Plus Douve Farm (with their small comrades cemeteries), then up along the slopes of Hill 63, and back down into the valley past Stinking Farm and up to the British front line below the hill. From here we go up into the NZ Memorial park and look back - thus seeing the front from both British and German eyes. A great part of the front, with many fantastic stories... we have the luxury of a coach to pick us up in Messines, but it isn't far to walk back via the excellent museum in Messines, Messines Ridge CWGC and back to the above mentioned farms - a good afternoon walk in the spring sunshine.

To Paul Guthrie - many thanks for the thoughts. You've given me one great line:-

"We think of the dips and rises beside the Ancre River as a place of death.

Folk memory tells us these fields witnessed the destruction of the flower of a generation.

But nature heals.

One Canadian knows only too well the suffering experienced by soldiers of both sides in this area during the long torment of the Battle of the Somme. Yet, even he has to admit that the area itself has a Picardian prettiness which makes it an ideal 'war walk.' "

I can build this into an aftermath piece.

HOWZAT for an insight you've given me! Cheers Des :D

Hold on - you're an American!? :blink:

I think my favourite , and one I do almost every year, seeing something different each time, is from Kemmel, up through the "Camping Ypra", down the "stations of the cross", and up the path to the top of the Kemmelberg for a welcoming Kriek at the Belvedere. Sometimes I go down the other side and have, on occasion, headed to Wijtschaete for yet another beer, but usually only get to Spanbroekmolen before returning.

Dave.

After the Ancre/St Pierre Divion walk I really enjoy the following circular walk:

Park Owl Trench Cemetery - Rossignol Wood - Gommecourt - Foncquevillers - Hebuterne ( calling for a drink a Sports Bar ) - back to car. Taking in the lovely cemeteries and interesting things on the 5 mile walk