Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Punishment for Drunkeness

andigger

I am reading a book the describes an incident where an officers orderly was tied to a wagon wheel spread eagle as punishment for continuous drunkeness. Is this possible? It seems like such a medieval punishment and would have been well out dated by the 20th century. Andy

This was Field Punishment No. 1, in which the soldier being punished would be publicly humiliated by being fastened to some immovable object for a certain number of hours each day. The punishment would last for a certain number of days, at so many hours per day.

You can read more about it on the mother site, here.

Tom

Yes - Field Punishment #1 I think. Soldiers were tied to the wheel for so many hours per day for several days, depending on what the Court Martial had dished out.

Hello

I think FP No.1 was phased out immediately after the War since it had caused quite a scandal when news of its barbarity reached the Home Front. (Public unease about the death penalty played a major part in its abolition during the 1930s(?).)

Richard

Yes - Field Punishment #1 I think. Soldiers were tied to the wheel for so many hours per day for several days, depending on what the Court Martial had dished out.

No need for Court Martial: Commanding Officers could and did award FP 1.

The rest of the story is that I read this with rereading Good-Bye to All That so I wasn't certian if this was part of Graves 'making the story more interesting.' Thanks for the insite though. Andy

It was done to an Digger in Vietnam, it got into the press and caused an uproar FP1 was then removed from the Manual of Mil law.

Terry

Whilst on the subject of FP, please could anyone enlighten me to FP No2 (I have just read the rules for FP but am not clear as to the action) as my granddad suffered this on a few occasions?

Thanks

Dee

Field Punishment No. 2 was essentially the same as being locked up, or at least confined to camp, with the requirement to report at regular times throughout the day, when the offender would be given extra duties, such as all the dirty jobs, extra drill in full pack, etc. (This was also a feature of FP No. 1).

Tom

Thanks for that, the other ones on his service record I understood (he has had CB, stoppages, fines, detention - from which he escaped, & was stopped grog more than once for returning drunk).

Unfortuantely, none of the punishments seemed to deter him from continuing to desert and he was finally court martialled..

Dee ^_^