Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Recruitment of Candians into Imperial Forces

Jane Canadian

Hello

I have asked this question in other subforums however on seeing this forum was devoted to recruitment thought I'd try again.

My grandfather enlisted into the British Army leaving for England on the Missanabie in Jan. 1914 and serving until 1920 altho he returned to Canada in Dec. 1919. He was in the RASC, motor transport.

I read an article in a recent journal that stated it occurred that men were enlisted especally into the ASC in Canada at that time. Since his brother enlisted into the CEF in 1915, I have been wondering why my grandfather chose the British army.

Can anyone share any ideas about that question? I also wondered how one went about it.. could one choose either CEF or Brirish army at a recruiting centre or would one have to seek out the British army recuiting centre?

many thanks,

Jane

In January 1914 Canada’s Permanent Active Militia or Regular Army had an authorised establishment of 3,110 men of all ranks and 684 horses, formed into two cavalry regiments – the Royal Canadian Dragoons and Lord Strathcona’s Horse; the Royal Canadian Horse Artillery with two batteries; the Royal Canadian Garrison Artillery; and one infantry battalion – the Royal Canadian Regiment. Their primary functions were to garrison coastal fortresses and assist in training the Non-Permanent Active Militia, which in recent years had grown to an authorised establishment in 1914 of 77,323. Little more than a police force, its members were voluntary part-time soldiers organised into local regiments who trained for only 12 to 16 days each year.

So in January 1914 your grandfather might have felt that the British Army offered a better career than the Canadian one. He may also have wanted to get to England, especially if he had emigrated from there. Before the war, many immigrants to Canada from Britain had found the going tough.

Moonraker

In January 1914 Canada's Permanent Active Militia or Regular Army had an authorised establishment of 3,110 men of all ranks and 684 horses, formed into two cavalry regiments – the Royal Canadian Dragoons and Lord Strathcona's Horse; the Royal Canadian Horse Artillery with two batteries; the Royal Canadian Garrison Artillery; and one infantry battalion – the Royal Canadian Regiment. Their primary functions were to garrison coastal fortresses and assist in training the Non-Permanent Active Militia, which in recent years had grown to an authorised establishment in 1914 of 77,323. Little more than a police force, its members were voluntary part-time soldiers organised into local regiments who trained for only 12 to 16 days each year.

So in January 1914 your grandfather might have felt that the British Army offered a better career than the Canadian one. He may also have wanted to get to England, especially if he had emigrated from there. Before the war, many immigrants to Canada from Britain had found the going tough.

Moonraker

Thank you very much for your response.

I could hardly believe when I read it that I failed to notice that I typed January 1914 instead of January 1916, which is when he enlisted. Would that make a difference?

Hello Jane. It would assist us if you would provide his full name and number, if you know it.

1916 makes quite a difference to 1914.

quote: I failed to notice that I typed January 1914 instead of January 1916, which is when he enlisted. Would that make a difference? end quote

Er yes, quite a bit! My knowledge of the Canadian Army runs only from 1914 to early 1915: during that period the Canadian Army offered better pay than the British one and so should have proved more attractive. I don't know if the pay differential extended later into the war.

Moonraker

Hello Jane. It would assist us if you would provide his full name and number, if you know it.

1916 makes quite a difference to 1914.

Apologies for the screw-up..

My grandfather's name is John Wesley Richards, DOB Feb 19,1890, born in Tilbury Ontario. He was in the RASC attached to the 3rd Battery of the motor machine gun corps before he was discharged in India in 1919. His regimental number is M2 153541.

He enlisted I would guess in Windsor Ontario, as that was his last known address. His younger brother enlisted in the CEF in October 1915 in Windsor, Ontario.

JWR sailed on the Missanabie in January 1916 to England....not sure what the time period between enlisting and sailing would be..

I read an article in a recent journal that stated it occurred that men were enlisted especally into the ASC in Canada at that time. Since his brother enlisted into the CEF in 1915, I have been wondering why my grandfather chose the British army.

I would be interested in that journal article, especially as your Grandfather was a Canadian going into British service.

I would be interested in that journal article, especially as your Grandfather was a Canadian going into British service.

One of the fourm members suggested I read this article and I contacted the editor of the Journal of the Society for Army Historical Research and he graciously sent me a copy.

For King,Queen and Empire: Canadians Recruited into the British Army, 1858-1944. Volume 87, #350 Summer 2009, 135-149

One of the fourm members suggested I read this article and I contacted the editor of the Journal of the Society for Army Historical Research and he graciously sent me a copy.

For King,Queen and Empire: Canadians Recruited into the British Army, 1858-1944. Volume 87, #350 Summer 2009, 135-149

Thanks Jane. I'll pinch this reference for the CEF Study Group.