Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New Project

Fat Frank

Hi Guys, it seems my original post got "washed" in the wash.

Here is pic of the wheels and after final painting (the "bling" was not my idea) they will be using it as a parade gun.

post-20140-1251709184.jpg

post-20140-1251709238.jpg

WOW! I'd love to see more pics of the gun.

Nice work on those wheels Frank.

Scott.

Pimp those wheels Frank ;) I think I'd agree with you, the 'bling' is too much but that aside what a fantasic job. Thankfully I remember the post that went through the wash and so have a vague picture of the 'before'. Any chance we can have some more pics?

cheers, Jon

"Any chance we can have some more pic?"

jay.......Will do later today.

Irishmen1916... I broke it down completely, I am working on getting the breech open and in working condition. In the end it will be a total rebuild. I will post some "old" pics later.

That is incredible, Frank. The 13 pdr is one of my favorites. Please keep us updated with it's progress.

• 2 weeks later...

1 pic before the front plate is added and then with the front plate. I will take some more tomorrow with a real camera (not the cell phone)

With plate

The breech

post-20140-1253024994.jpg

post-20140-1253025212.jpg

post-20140-1253025272.jpg

Done, have a meeting with the Kings Troop on the 28th to solve the ropes and more bling.

Next is another 6"26CWT waiting for me when I get back. It is in a very poor state of disrepair. I will post as I go along.

post-20140-1253170254.jpg

FANTASTIC! Thanks for sharing!!!

Brilliant piece of restoration - do let us know what the King's Troop have to say about the ropes; they might even be able to tell you something about the white stripe as well.

.................they might even be able to tell you something about the white stripe as well....

aaaah yes, the WHITE STRIPE, here's hoping.

post-20140-1253251649.jpg

That's beautiful work!

Stunning restoration Frank! Must say I'm looking forward to your 6" howitzer project. When you say "another 6"26CWT" - do you have photos of a previous 6" restoration project?

Kind regards

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
Stunning restoration Frank! Must say I'm looking forward to your 6" howitzer project. When you say "another 6"26CWT" - do you have photos of a previous 6" restoration project?

Kind regards

Steve

Hi Steve

I did post it when I did it but it got "washed" with the changes. I will some pics on the weekend or Monday. If you want more you can contact me with your open e-,mail via a "PM"

Here are the pics of the 6"26CWT I did in Joburg. It stands at the Johanesburg Zoo and is 1 of 6 that were presented to South Africa after the Great War, 1 for each Battery of Heavy Artillery mustered.

Here are the pics of the 6"26CWT I did in Joburg. It stands at the Johanesburg Zoo and is 1 of 6 that were presented to South Africa after the Great War, 1 for each Battery of Heavy Artillery mustered.

post-20140-1254716011.jpg

post-20140-1254716152.jpg

Wow, such a difference to when I was at Jo'burg Zoo a couple of years back. good work, keep it up. Will the 13pdr be on public display?

No, sorry, the 13 pndr will only be on display at the Regt. It is their idea to do the second one they have and for them have a display "section" for Parades and use as the Kings Troop does, including firing blanks. We are a very long way away from that though, would be great to see if we could pull it off. I had a meeting with the CO, Kings Troop last week. He was very helpful and we are hoping to cement our ties in the short term.

Horses are one of the biggest obstacles but they may get help from local riding schools and equestrian clubs. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Here is a pic of the next project, the last of the 6 6"26CWTs. This is in a very poor condition and at the moment we are still raising funds to begin this work. Hopefully it will look like the Jo'burg Zoo Gun when finished. We call this one the "Haig" gun, it was unveiled by Gen Haig in Port Elizabeth in 1921. It will be returned to PE when completed as this is where it belongs.

There is a Krupp 150mm (captured in Europe) there as well which I will look at at the same time. It is not in the picture, I have one somewhere and will post it.

post-20140-1254891444.jpg

Here is a nother pic of the Jo'burg Zoo Gun (Memorial to the 71st SAHA)

post-20140-1254892558.jpg