Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sleeve Chevrons

barry73

Hi All,

This is a picture of my great gran father William George Moore 202381 2/4th battalion, The Wiltshire Regiment. He was in India during the IWW. Can anyone please tell me what the chevron on his left arm is for (and the little thing above)

Also he had another regimental No. for the Wiltshire Regiment 4690. About what year would this be from? Does anyone know if the wiltshires had been abroad before the IWW??

Thank You All For Your Help,

Barry

post-42404-1251541552.jpg

The inverted chevron is a Good Conduct badge: three years' service (I believe). The one above is a skill at arms badge, but I don't know which.

The only battalions of the Wiltshires in India in the GW were the 1/4th and 2/4th: both Territorial battalions sent overseas early in the war to replace Regular battalions brought back to Europe. A 4-digit number like his would indicate a territorial, and he may well have been a terrier pre-war.

4 digit TF numbers were replaced during early 1917 when the whole TF underwent a numbering change. The badge above the GC chevron looks like the crossed rifles of a Marksman

Jon

The inverted chevron is a Good Conduct badge: three years' service (I believe). The one above is a skill at arms badge, but I don't know which.

The only battalions of the Wiltshires in India in the GW were the 1/4th and 2/4th: both Territorial battalions sent overseas early in the war to replace Regular battalions brought back to Europe. A 4-digit number like his would indicate a territorial, and he may well have been a terrier pre-war.

Thanks for that Steven.

Can this photo give a clue to his skill?

post-42404-1251543495.jpg

Only the 6 digit number appears on his MIC which suggests that he didn't arrive overseas until after the TF numbering changes took place

Jon

part of medal card with 4690. Will try and add the rest :mellow:

post-42404-1251544525.jpg

The badge looks to me like the crossed swords of a PTI.

Regards,

W.

Regards,

W.

Hi w, what is a PTI?

thanks,

Barry

But worn on the lower arm would be a 'Swordsmanship' proficiency badge and were not the crossed swords of a PTI worn above Sgt stripes?

Jon (still learning ;) )