Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Non Combatant Corps

Peter Doyle

Non Combatant Corps; did they or did they not wear the 'NCC' title as a cap badge of sorts during the Great War, or, as some sources (and the main reference books...) suggest, was this title only used during its re-incarnation in the Second World War? I've assumed the former case, but am now worried about the latter one...

Help! (Thanks!)

Peter

Peter,

don't worry. Initially formed in 1915 and as you say wore the 'NCC' title and also 'N.C.C.' as cap badges. On 12th July 1939 they were reformed as the NCLC and wore the title 'NCLC' and were then redesignated as NCC in April 1940 and again wore the 'NCC' title.

Peter,

don't worry. Initially formed in 1915 and as you say wore the 'NCC' title and also 'N.C.C.' as cap badges. On 12th July 1939 they were reformed as the NCLC and wore the title 'NCLC' and were then redesignated as NCC in April 1940 and again wore the 'NCC' title.

Phew! Thanks, that's cleared that minor flutter up; thanks!

Peter

Peter - I believe I have a photo of one of them somewhere. Will see if I can find it.

That would be great if you could, Paul.

Best

Peter

Peter - I believe I have a photo of one of them somewhere. Will see if I can find it.

Here's the Non-Combatant Labour Corps (NCLC) cap badge ...

post-20192-1252410100.jpg

[courtesy of Arctic Medals]

N.B. it is a cap badge despite looking like a shoulder title.

The NCC version is very similar.

I'm a bit confused as to whether the WW1 period unit was known as the NCC or the NCLC as I've found references to both ... including some reputable sources (i.e. not Wikipedia - LOL!)

Can you confirm/clarify Jon?

Cheers,

Mark

Mark,

my source is Westlake who claims that the NCLC was formed in 1939 so I would doubt that the NCLC badge was worn in the Great War since the unit under that name hadn't yet come into being and was then only short lived. Nice to see an example of the badge,

cheers, Jon

My understanding is that Jon is quite correct

The Non Combatant Corps was formed in 1916 following the publication of Army Order 112.

It was called the Non Combatant Corps both the badge and shoulder title used the letters NCC.

For some reason I cannot seem to upload my picture to this site so I would direct you to my website

Non Combatant Corps Shoulder Title

Regards

Ivor

Sorry Guys I do not know what is going wrong.

So -

The website address is www.labourcorps.co.uk and the picture is on the page Other British Units

Ivor

Ivor,

I've had a go with your link too and seem to have had better luck:

http://www.labourcorps.co.uk/Pages/Other%2...sh%20Units.html

As far as I understand, the NCC shoulder title and cap badge were identical, differing only in the method of attachment.

Also thanks to you and Jon for resolving my query about NCC vs NCLC!

Cheers,

Mark

From the foregoing discussion, can I take it that the Great War period NCC cap badge (as opposed to shoulder title), was attached by a slider rather than loops, in everyone's opinion?

Cheers

Peter

• 7 months later...
Guest mgidhagen

Hi,

I wonder if you can help me clarifying a thing; I have an "NCC" badge, with two hexagon-shaped lugs to the rear, and where NCC is written "N.C.C." (see the attached pics). Is this possibly a shoulder title of the Non Combatant Corps, or is it something completely different, such as a badge of the Indian "National Cadet Corps" - as suggested by a friend of mine...? The badge measures 36 mm X 16 mm.

Thank you! :)

Best Regards,

Mikael G, Sweden

post-55262-1273439451.jpg

Hello Mikael, welcome to the forum

I believe your badge is the Non Combatant Corp Cap badge

See photo below, I think it was also worn as a shoulder title but am unsure

Regards

Roger

JUNK1-1.jpg

Interesting that. Here is NCC (no dots), certainly period, and certainly a cap badge (but may have started out as a title). Roger - any chance of a close up on the soldier's cap?

Cheers

Peter

post-29053-1273952635.jpg