Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What trade is he?

gnr.ktrha

Hello,

A friend has a photo of a Gunner in the Royal Field Artillery. On his upper right arm he has the Hammer and Pincers badge. During WW1 what does this make him? A Gunner Armourer? Tiffy?

I will see if I can get a copy of the photo and post it here.

Stewart

I can't say for WW1 but in earlier periods pincers (tongs) and a hammer (the symbols of blacksmithing) were used to denote artificer units vid the Corps of Maltese Artificers in earlier conflicts

Hello Stewart

Fitter, I think.

Armament artificers served with the RFA and RGA but they were AOC personnel.

Ron

From Edwards & Langley, British Army Proficiency Badges,I S B N 0 9509427.0.7 :

Smith, Artificer, Armourer, Fitter, Vehicle mechanic, Toolmaker and about 20 allied trades.

Hello Stewart

Fitter, I think.

Armament artificers served with the RFA and RGA but they were AOC personnel.

Ron

Until 1946 or thereabouts RA (RHA/RFA/RGA) had its own artificers who were an integral part of each battery. AOC (and subsequently REME) did work above battery level. Batteries had various other tradesmen as well including farriers and equipment repairers (who dealt with harnesses and the like). However, I'm not sure about armourers because RA didn't have a lot of small arms, certainly in WW2 the armourer was at regimental level and not RA, even when they finally got around to issuing every man with a personal weapon, c. 1942). I'm not sure that RA ever used the term 'fitter'.

Hello Folks,

You have all certainly given me a lot to think about. I don't suppose it will be possible to really tell until the man's name can be identified and a search for his service papers is carried out [if they exist!]. But still, you have managed to narrow it down a bit.

Many thanks,

Stewart