Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Possible non-comm. Jamieson, Fred. 2nd Canadian

burlington

The heading to this posting is essentially is what is on a memorial in Llandrindod Wells, Powys, Wales.

A contact who is a family member of Jamieson wrote to the CWGC about 5 years ago, trying to trace him, but the reply came back to the effect that there was no record.

I have just tried and, again, failed to find him.

Maybe an incorrect spelling of name, different name on enrolment but......

Any ideas folks.

Thanks

Martin

Martin, if you could supply more biographical details on the man, we could compare that to men who are listed as dying on or around that date in 1916.

You've likely found Fred Jameson, 775506, who died on the date of 1918-08-08.

I suspect the name is the key.

Best bet might be Frederick Jamison, 19/9/16.

Attestation papers on the Canadian National Archives site indicates next of kin living at Buileth Wells.

J

There are seven "Fred" Jamieson's that attested to the CEF:

66.JAMIESON, FRED 09/11/1890 8454RG 150, Accession 1992-93/166, Box 4782 - 48

67.JAMIESON, FREDERICK 14/12/1881 100733RG 150, Accession 1992-93/166, Box 4782 - 49

68.JAMIESON, FREDERICK ALLISON 31/10/1884 1010135RG 150, Accession 1992-93/166, Box 4782 - 50

69.JAMIESON, FREDERICK CHARLES 18/05/1875LCL RG 150, Accession 1992-93/166, Box 4782 - 51

70.JAMIESON, FREDERICK GEORGE 01/09/1897 349972 911354RG 150, Accession 1992-93/166, Box 4782 - 52

71.JAMIESON, FREDERICK J 16/06/1888 1027006RG 150, Accession 1992-93/166, Box 4782 - 53

72.JAMIESON, FREDERICK JOHN 29/11/1894 3133404RG 150, Accession 1992-93/166, Box 4782 - 54

The only one CWGC lists as KIA on that list is 1010135 died on 26/10/1917. You probably knew that already but I was not sure if you had the names of all the F. Jamieson soldiers.

If it was the 2nd Canadian Infantry Battalion, they were at ALBERT on 25/9/16 after moving up from Courcelette near the Sugar Refinery (see Nicholson Map 6 in the CEFSG MATRIX).

If it was the 2nd Canadian Mounted Rifles, there were 5 killed and 1 died of wounds at Bouzincourt (northwest of Albert) in what appears to be an unexpected shelling of the area at 2:30 in the afternoon:

http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/e/e046/e001125895.jpg

I checked the 3 cemeteries in that area, no Jamieson.

I thought the name of the cemetery might be spelt wrong (there is no place BULLENCOURT that I could find), perhaps it should be Beaulencourt, which is just east of Albert. There are two cemeteries there, but the name Jamieson does not appear in those records:

1 THILLOY ROAD CEMETERY, BEAULENCOURT FrancePas de Calais

2 BEAULENCOURT BRITISH CEMETERY, LIGNY-THILLOY FrancePas de Calais

Next step, check Norm Christie's book for the Somme 1916 and the local cemeteries. They are all listed on pages 61 to 83. I did not check them all, but a number of those related to the 2nd CIB or 2nd CMR - no luck on Jamieson or anything related.

Let the search continue, I have to leave it for now - although I have not given up!

Richard

Thanks everyone for your help.

I think that John's answer best fits the bill, because of where the next of kin live.

Obviously, there was a confusion about the spelling of the name. His family came from this area, Builth Wells, and the date of death fits, thereabouts, as does his age. The spelling of the place of his death is also probably incorrect.

All in all, I am assuming this is the man and the family seem happy with this, barring any contrary information.

Thanks again

Martin

Martin

If you are looking for Canadian soldiers connected to your areas and you haven't got a name then possibly you may want to try the Canadian Soldiers on Ancestry even though you may not have suscription for Canadian material. Luckily the Canadians recorded their men by full christian and surnames so if e.g you put Builth* in Birth Location you get a return of 18 names. The fact that they are full christian names help when you then go on to the Attestation papers and do a search as it narrows down the returns there especially on the dreaded Jones, Williams etc. It wouldn't have brought up the one John found because of the misspelling of Builth but I mention it as I have found loads for the various villages/towns within my area of interest. Making use of the wild card * is useful to cover misspellings

Radnorshire brings up 43

Hywyn

Just checking his Attestation Papers and for those that have not seen them:

http://data2.archives.ca/cef/gpc007/415276a.gif

http://data2.archives.ca/cef/gpc007/415276b.gif

Frederick Victor Gilbert Jamison had Service Number 21285, which is consistent with the 11th Canadian Infantry Battalion. In September 1914 the 11th Battalion would have been proposed for the 3rd Canadian Infantry Brigade of the 1st Canadian Division. That is confirmed by the notation on the top of the 2nd (back) page of his Attestation Papers. The 11th Battalion was subsequently broken up to form the 11th Reserve Battalion. All of the links are shown in the Reserve Battalion Matrix Utility:

http://cefresearch.com/matrix/Utilities/reserves/

The problem that I see with this possibility is that at the time of his death he was with the 4th (Central Ontario) Infantry Battalion and his grave site is unknown, thus remembered on the Vimy Memorial. That does not match what the HEADER says with regards to the unit, as the 4th Battalion was in the 1st Brigade of the 1st Division - nothing referenced the "2nd Canadian". Also he would not be listed as being in a cemetery if he was on the Vimy Memorial.

The 4th Battalion was at Courcellete on September 19, 1916 and an attack on the trench by the Germans wiped out a Lewis Gun crew and captured the gun.

http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/e/e044/e001077771.jpg

The corresponding page for the 1st Infantry Brigade is here:

http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/e/e042/e001032684.jpg

I could not see any other relevant information in the Appendices to these war diaries.

I believe that the dates and name are coincidental and that this in not the man you are looking for.

You can retrieve the complete service file of any of the soldiers from Library and Archives Canada.

Are there any other clues?

Richard