Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Essex Regt. uniform badge help needed

bierlijn

Hi Forum,

Here is a crop from a photo of one of my grandfather's brothers. In the photo he has an "Essex Volunteer Regiment" cap badge. I've attempted to show as best I can the shoulder patch as an easy way of identifying his unit. I think it's a one over a two over 'Essex'. If so, which battalion would this be?

Hugh

post-19252-1251468150.jpg

Hi Forum,

Here is a crop from a photo of one of my grandfather's brothers. In the photo he has an "Essex Volunteer Regiment" cap badge. I've attempted to show as best I can the shoulder patch as an easy way of identifying his unit. I think it's a one over a two over 'Essex'. If so, which battalion would this be?

Hugh

I think it is V 2 ESSEX, if so it is the 2nd Volunteer Battalion, any chance of the full photo

Great! Thanks for the reply. What would that unit be? Is it one of the battalions shown here?

http://www.1914-1918.net/essex.htm

This is George Shipman. He "Joined under Lord Derby's Scheme", and in this photo he is about 32 years old. That's all I know, so anything you could fill in would be gratefully received.

"Yours to a Cindoo",

Hugh

post-19252-1251753753.jpg

This was the WW1 version of the WW2 Home Guard. They were initially locally raised before being taken in to the remit of the WD. They were as their name suggests volunteers. Unlike the Territorial battalions they were not liable to overseas service. If your chap was 31 in 1917 and not conscripted into the Regular Army, then it would suggest that he was in a reserved occupation. Being in Essex this was more likely to be farming than industry (mining/engineering etc). the cap abdge is obscure but is not the standard Essex Regt badge which would support the VTc ID as they had a differnt design to the Regulars and the Territorials.

Thanks Max7474,

The only info I have about occupation is from a press cutting about George's brothers, who are all in the services. It says "George (who works for Messrs. Wray & Fuller) has joined up under Lord Derby's Scheme."

A scan using a popular search engine indicates that Wray & Fuller were a builders merchants and 'monumental masons' in Springfield Road, Chelmsford.

Here's the cap badge.

Hugh

post-19252-1251842765.jpg

Does anyone know exactly what the duties of a volunteer infantry battalion would have been? Given that there was no practical likelihood that Britain would be invaded in the course of WW1, what sort of thing might they have practiced? Did they replace the police force?

Hugh

There may not in hindsight been a real threat of invasion but their was a perceived one so they trained to resist one. Unlike WW2 there was no parachutist scare so there was not the same key Point defence and patrols. They did not have any policing role.

Lord Derby's scheme was not VTC orientated but a separate way of encouraging enlistment in the Regualrs without conscription.

Thanks Max7474,

The only info I have about occupation is from a press cutting about George's brothers, who are all in the services. It says "George (who works for Messrs. Wray & Fuller) has joined up under Lord Derby's Scheme."

A scan using a popular search engine indicates that Wray & Fuller were a builders merchants and 'monumental masons' in Springfield Road, Chelmsford.

Here's the cap badge.

Hugh

There was nothing to stop George volunteering to enlist under the Derby Scheme in 1915, which pre-dated conscription of 1916. Men were also encouraged to join their local VTC unit in order to get some basic form of military instruction before being called forward as Derby scheme members, but again this didn't begin until January 1916. However he may have been rejected for military service when his Group was called forward and either opted to either join or remain in the VTC(if he was already serving with them.).

By the way the photo is a beauty.

Thanks very much for all this info. My grandfather's family came from Essex and in his photo album there are a couple of other Essex Regt. photographs. This isn't my particular field of interest, but as a thank you I'll post these photos now in the 'soldiers' section.

Hugh

I've just realised from the cap badges that this photo is also of the Essex Volunteers. Great Uncle George is bottom left.

I've just realised from the cap badges that this photo is also of the Essex Volunteers. Great Uncle George is bottom left.

post-19252-1252067429.jpg

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...

Hello, I think that my g-uncle Harry Norman has an Essex Volunteers cap badge in this picture, but bit difficult to tell. Unfortunately can't find much in the way of records to verify that. Can anyone confirm the badge?

thanks.

patrick

Patrick

Your Great Uncle is wearing the standard Artillery cap badge worn by the Royal Field Artillery, Royal Horse Artillery and Royal Garrison Artillery during the Great War.

He is not wearing the Essex Volunteer Regiment badge.

Sepoy

Patrick

I agree with RA badge, and think the photo is reversed, as the bandolier should be over the soldier's left shoulder.

D

also was wondering is there an easy way to tell from this picture his rank?

thank you.post-89496-0-79914500-1335002844.png

edited.. I found his medals records, a gunner in RFA. So wrong thread in the end! But glad i found him..