Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Ralph Seel 44101

stuartbatt

Hi All,

I have seen some references to Pte Ralph Seel (44101) on this site. I am keen to find any photos or information on him. I already have (as it turns out quite miraculously due to the bombings) got a copy of is service record. He was my great, great, grandfather's brother so I am very keen to learn more.

Thanks for any help,

2UP.

2UP

Some additional biographical information: Pte. Ralph Seel, #44101, born 1898, Manchester, Lancashire, the son of

Ralph (33 yrs. old in 1901) & Annie (30 in 1901) Seel; the family was living in North Manchester in 1901; Ralph

had 2 older brothers, Herbert (age 9) and Harold (age 7), and a younger brother, Ernest (age 1). Died 12 March 1916

while with 18th Battalion, Manchester Regiment, at the age of 18. His birth was registered during the 2nd Quarter

(April, May, June) of 1898, at the registry office at Prestwich, Lancashire. CWGC gives his parents' address as

33 Midlothian Street, Clayton, Manchester. You probably know most, if not all of this, but some of it may be new

or of interest to other Forum members.

Regards

Trelawney

Hi All,

I have seen some references to Pte Ralph Seel (44101) on this site. I am keen to find any photos or information on him. I already have (as it turns out quite miraculously due to the bombings) got a copy of is service record. He was my great, great, grandfather's brother so I am very keen to learn more.

Thanks for any help,

2UP.

Hi 2up

you may be interested in our rather good history of the 18th battalion written by Kingo, a member of this forum, it's available on the Manchester Regiment Group Site :-

18th Battalion Manchester Regiment

chris

Thanks so much for the replies. I know that Anthony Bagshaw has his memorial plaque (or did in the 2005 forum). I have posted a reply under his 18th Manchester thread as I would love to obtain a photo of that.

The information you have provided is very comprehensive about him but the only thing that is different is war graves commission emailed me a photo of his grave and he died on 3/12/1916 which Anthony also cited.

Interestingly, his military history has him enlisting at aged 20 and 3 months yet he died aged 18 - maybe he told a few porkies to get in?

I come across him by accident doing family history research recently so you have told me stuff I didn't yet know. I hadn't really done much on my grandad's side and my elderly aunt hadn't remembered him in her recounts to me.

It is greatly appreciated that you took the time to respond.

Regards

2UP

Cheers Peter,

Now that I have read the background of the battalion it all seems very sad for the poor boy and all those like him.

He was posted to the 18th Regiment on the 20/9/1916 so lasted less than 3 months.

Regards

2up

Sorry, i moved on his plaque some time ago. Interestingly enough, his BWM appeared on ebay 18 months- 2 years ago.

Sorry

Hi Anthony,

Are able to locate the details of who you sold it to? I am only interested in photographs of these items unless someone actually wants to sell them. If you do know who has it or anything else relating to Ralph can you please have them contact me via the site and I can then refer them to my email.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards

2up

Sorry mate. I sold it on Ebay but cannot remember who to- have looked through the history of past sales but no joy i'm afraid.

I am very sorry that i can't help you with this.........

• 7 months later...
Guest Kate House

Hi Ralph Seel was my great uncle. I have visited his grave. I have a photograph of him and a letter he sent to his sister Ivy. I would be very interested in knowing more about his brothers as I have only met the sisters

Hi Ralph Seel was my great uncle. I have visited his grave. I have a photograph of him and a letter he sent to his sister Ivy. I would be very interested in knowing more about his brothers as I have only met the sisters

Dear Kate,

Very pleased to get the reply re Ralph Seel. His parents Ralph Senior and Annie nee McClelland are my great, great, grandparents and it is their son Harold who my lineage follows. Ralph and Harold were also siblings of Ivy (who I presume is your relative) and Ernest, Herbert, Olive, Rose and Leonard. There may be others but this is all I've found. I have Ralph's war record and as you will see from my postings I have chased his death plaque without success. I know he married around the time of his enlistment so it would have gone to his wife. Would be interested to share more with you as I have collated a bit of family history. Email me at amethist101@hotmail and I'll give you my email from there if you like.

Look forward to hearing from you

2-up (in Oz).

Guest Kate House
Dear Kate,

Very pleased to get the reply re Ralph Seel. His parents Ralph Senior and Annie nee McClelland are my great, great, grandparents and it is their son Harold who my lineage follows. Ralph and Harold were also siblings of Ivy (who I presume is your relative) and Ernest, Herbert, Olive, Rose and Leonard. There may be others but this is all I've found. I have Ralph's war record and as you will see from my postings I have chased his death plaque without success. I know he married around the time of his enlistment so it would have gone to his wife. Would be interested to share more with you as I have collated a bit of family history. Email me at amethist101@hotmail and I'll give you my email from there if you like.

Look forward to hearing from you

2-up (in Oz).

Hi - I have replied by email. I am descended from Ivy and knew Ivy, Rose and Olive.