Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Did We Miss Something

johnreed

Today I was just perusing my Trench Maps when I happened to look at Radinghem map which contains Pheasent Wood, I did a map comparison and found what to me was slightly alarming on the Map dated 5th May 1916 the field south of Pheasent Wood blank as one would expect, but on the Map dated 14th February 1917 there are 8 earthworks just south of Pheasent Wood, what are your thoughts? I am attaching the two maps.

John

I am sorry after Burial Pits on the second map I should have put a question mark.

John

post-1365-1251374279.jpg

post-1365-1251374298.jpg

Hi John,

Eight burial pits were dug, five were used. These pits were then marked on subsequent British maps.

I don’t quite understand what the missing bit is that you are alluding to. Can you elaborate?

Thanks

Why did it take so long 90 years, to search for them? If it featured on the map why wasn't it seen into.

John

It does seem that during the searches for burials after the war, someone made a monumental c*** up. Surely all trench maps should have been checked.

SM

It does seem that during the searches for burials after the war, someone made a monumental c*** up.
Clearly so.

Details of various mass graves around Fromelles are given in Peter Barton’s reports submitted to the Australian Army. Research in the Bavarian archives showed that there were at least 27 mass graves in the immediate vicinity of Pheasant Wood. The term 'mass grave' means graves with two or more bodies interred. It was clear from the numbers given for each grave that the burial pits at Pheasant Wood were not included in the above figure of 27.

More details on this will be made available when the Australian Army publish these two reports. I understand they have been promising to do this but to no avail thus far.

It does seem that during the searches for burials after the war, someone made a monumental c*** up. Surely all trench maps should have been checked.

SM

The GUARD report reproduces part of this map and also a October 1916 aerial photo showing burial pits at this exact location and a further aerial view of the same spot at September 1918 showing the three unused still open pits.

Alec Jeffreys was not born until 1950. Clouds have silver linings.