Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Insignia Experts Please

4thGordons

I have just obtained a couple of nice pre war photos the 1/4th Gordons at their summer camp.

The colonel and some of the other officers in a couple of pictures appear to be wearing the shield type insignia (stag's heid) usually worn in the middle of the sporran, as collar badges - rather than the more usual Gordons sphinx insignia. (please see pic)

Does anyone have any information on this? was it TF units only (or just the 4th Btn)? when was it replaced etc? Any information really. This is the first time I have run across this.

Thanks,

Chris

post-14525-1251347586.jpg

Hi Chris,

In 1902 when Service Dress was introduced for officers the relative Dress Regulations describes the collar badges to be worn as 'Upon a dotted shield...' 1911 Dress Regulations replaced 'dotted with seeded'. This badge can easily be mistaken for a similar used as a sporran top for NCOs and Ptes approved Horse Guards. WO 29th October 1895 and a later pattern 7704 in gilding metal sealed 18th October 1912. (Churchill)

Jon

Hi Chris,

In 1902 when Service Dress was introduced for officers the relative Dress Regulations describes the collar badges to be worn as 'Upon a dotted shield...' 1911 Dress Regulations replaced 'dotted with seeded'. This badge can easily be mistaken for a similar used as a sporran top for NCOs and Ptes approved Horse Guards. WO 29th October 1895 and a later pattern 7704 in gilding metal sealed 18th October 1912. (Churchill)

Jon

Thanks John.

I will need to investigate the difference between dotted and seeded! I assume then this must have been relatively short lived (@ a decade) pattern and by the Great War these had been replaced on officers tunics collars by the bronzed sphinx.

Chris