Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Eliza Kennedy M.N died 1915 Tower Hill and a grave

izzy

Terry while doing some local research for Jim Strawbridge i found a reference to a Stewardess by the name of Eliza Kennedy, she died in 1915 when her ship was sunk by a U boat. She is mentioned on the Tower hill memorial but the reference i found states that she is buried in Walton [st Marys] churchyard Liverpool. Would the newspaper reference and a photo copy of the burial register be enough to get her details changed on the C.W.G.C site ? I can take a picture of the Headstone and the burial registers should give the grave reference. Can you please advise.

Just a thought what if there is no headstone would the newspaper article and burial register be enough ? The newspaper article mentions her body being washed up on the irish coast and mentions the ship and her occupation it mentions the burial and gives her home address and a list of mourners.

The headstone pic is only to help the Regional Inspector find the grave if it is accepted.

The burial register should be enough to get the investigation underway. It has always sufficed in the past. The article will help as back-up.

Izzy

could you let us know if you come across any other MN graves that may be on Tower Hill

Chris

Chrisharley9 will do but im only working of the list Jim Strawbridge sent me. If you require any Registers for Liverpool checking let me know and i will do my best.

Izzy

Can I take you up on that offer as I have quite a few names that need checking from the Brookwood UK 1914-18 Memorial - have already checked Toxteth Park as the records are on line - my thanks

Chris

Terry i have a copy of the burial register for St Mary's, Walton parish on the Hill Liverpool. Eliza Kennedy Stewardess M.N does get a mention and it also mentions that she was drowned on the Hesperian her body was exhumed from Stradbally Co Kerry Ireland. she was buried 23 November 1915 age 66 years. As i don't have a scanner iv'e asked Jim Strawbridge to send you a copy of the entry i have sent him [by post] i hope this is ok. At the moment i do not have agrave reference but im working on that i will also be going up there in a couple of weeks to see if there is a headstone.

• 10 months later...
Guest montarsha

Hello Terry and Izzy,

I just stumbled upon this blog whilst doing some research on Eliza Kennedy.

My great grand mother who passed away last year at the age of 98 (who is Eliza's niece) always kept her Bronze medal on the mantle. I remember her telling me about her when I was a child but only now am I starting to piece together a family tree.

I can't tell you how pleased I was to find this information. My uncle and I are researching this and would love ANY information you have about her.

Kindest Regards,

Montarsha.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Montarsha there is an obituary in Crosby Library for Eliza Kennedy. In Liverpool Library they have the burial registers on microfilm these may be unavailable due to refurbishment. The Gravestones were laid flat in the churchyard years ago but i believe there may be a possibility to have one erected by the C.W.G.C with Known To be buried erected.

• 3 years later...

Izzy, did you have any luck in finding the grave ? Or at least a grave reference. I have someone willing to take a photograph if her grave plot can be identified.

I was passing the church earlier today so I had a quick look round. Locked gates restrict access to some parts of the churchyard and most of the headstones are laid flat and covered in debris from the overhanging trees. Couldn't even spot the Commission headstone refered to above. Assuming there even is a headstone for Eliza Kennedy, you would really need to have some idea of where it is.

Here is the website - perhaps it would be an idea to contact them direct - they do have a "Friends of the Churchyard" group.

http://www.waltonteamministry.com/stmarys.html

• 4 years later...

Was a grave ever found for Eliza Kennedy? Seems a shame when we know where she was buried...

Capture.JPG.c2c95da10f057944ac395eae2c307875.JPG

(Liverpool Echo, 20 November 1915)

Paul

I will check this one with Terry later

Chris

Paul

This is one of the cases where the grave find still sits with CWGC. There has been problems with the Church Of England in getting graves recognised.

Chris