Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Signaller badges - appropriate use

RangeRover

I'm building a shadow box to commemorate my grandfather who served with the CEF. He signed up, under-age, with the 226th Battalion - Men of the North, eventually serving with the 43rd Cameron Highlanders.

He survived the war, but died when I was younger so I am having to try to pull together bits of information from various sources. I do know that he completed signalling training - I have his certificate for this - and was told by a family member he was a runner at some point. I'd like to include a signallers badge as part of the shadow box and, to that end, have acquired two such cloth badges. A search of the other posts here has helped somewhat, but still leaves me wondering which of the two badges, if either, might be apppriate to use, or what I should look for that is era-appropriate.

Pictures are appended here, and any guidance greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

post-44241-1251312889.jpg

post-44241-1251312898.jpg

Hi there,

My grandad was in the 17th(Northern)Division of the British Army and he was a signaller. I have a photo of him taken after 1916 showing the crossed flags and it appears similar to your second one with the pom ended poles.

Cheers Roger.

I believe that the CEF signaler badge was different to the British cloth badge however very similar, I'm sure there is an article on this on the forum somewhere, worth a search GRUMPY should know.

mark.