Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Odd French Helmet and visor

vollketten

I saw this picture recently of an odd looking french helmet. The crest appears to say 'R F' which I take to mean 'Republique Francais' surrounded by a laurel wreath. According to one source this is for the 'Service de Sante' but I don't know what this is or why they would need a chain mail face guard.

It looks deeply uncomforatble (I wouldn't want that bashing me in face whenever I ran, It must ruin visibility and probably noisy as well.) I seriously doubt it's value as protection. Does anyone know whether this even had a name? or know what year this was tried?

Not only this but the glum looking fellow modeling it is dressed in a odd looking pocketless shirt.

post-48708-1251296988.jpg

Never seen one like that!

I know various "mail" face and neck guards were made for British tank crews. I will be interesting to see if this is a variant?

Chris

Never seen one like that!

I know various "mail" face and neck guards were made for British tank crews. I will be interesting to see if this is a variant?

Chris

My first thought but French tankers seem to have worn either leather helmets or berets.

My first thought but French tankers seem to have worn either leather helmets or berets.

Standard French army 1915 Adrian badged to the medical services. Anti-shrapnel visor fitted - probably experimental and depicted on such a helmet for an article or manual.

dave.

They can also be encountered wearing steel helmets (occasionally with the front peak removed - standard post-war) badged up to either the artillery or their new "Artillerie Speciale" badge (see my avatar for the 1935 version...similar, but not stamped onto a disc).

dave.

Standard French army 1915 Adrian badged to the medical services. Anti-shrapnel visor fitted - probably experimental and depicted on such a helmet for an article or manual.

dave.

I assume that by shrapnel you mean anti splinter.