Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South African/Royal Scots?

Skipman

Collector friend came across this jacket. It's ww1, but has South African Badge, but has Royal Scots Collar Badges .

Who wore this, an Royal Scot Attached SA? :blink:

ouz3ah.jpg

kb2bli.jpg

ndx288.jpg

Cheers Mike

And WW2 cloth titles. Most odd.

Could the collar dogs refer to the South African Scottish (4th regiment, South African Infantry)?

Green lanyard looks like a clasp knife attachment to me.

Thanks Steven. To be honest, the guy knows a lot more about uniforms than I do. I will put any suggestions to him. His thoughts were along the lines of a Royal Scot attached to SA somewhere somehow. As you say " most odd " :huh:

Thanks Mike

Mike,

I am not sure where the South African badge you are referring to is.

From what I can see the title in the second and third photos looks like South East Asia Command. The formation patch below the title in photo 2 is 14th Army and the formation patch below the title in photo 3 is the 11th East African Division.

This still doesn't answer the matter of the Royal Scots collar badges as the the three brigades (21st, 25th and 26th East African) had battalions of the King's African Rifles in them, except for the 1st Northern Rhodesia Regiment in the 21st East African Brigade.

This could a uniform that has been put together from odds and ends. There is a WO badge on the right sleeve cuff and one can see the holes and impression on the shoulder straps where a a metal rank badge has been. Just a guess. Not sure if they wore Khaki serge in the tropics.

Cheers

Chris

Mike,

I am not sure where the South African badge you are referring to is.

Hi Chris, am only going on what the guy told me, but I presume he was referring to the Rhino Badge? Is that a SA badge?

I too said that SEAC was ww2 ( Mountbatten )

You may be right, possibly an am/dram conglomeration. It is a ww1 jacket though, eh?

Will put all these point to him, it is certainly a bit of a mish/mash?

Cheers Mike

I can't see the photos - but a rhino head badge was originally East Africa Command.

I presume he was referring to the Rhino Badge? Is that a SA badge?

Mike,

The black Rhino head on a red circle/oval is the 11th East African Division. WWII

Cheers

Chris

Def WW2 insignia also there has been metal shoulder titles on the epalets you can clealry see the holes for the lugs. I would think that this has been made up I would think in South East Asia wearing something like that you would sweat like a mad man .

Dan

I would think in South East Asia wearing something like that you would sweat like a mad man .

Dan

Good point :D

You would sweat like a mad dog or Englishman in East Africa too, no doubt.

Cheers Mike