Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench remains at Sheffield Park

whkay

Depending on what you read and from where there seems to be conflicting views as to whether or not the trench remains in front of the Pals memorial at Serre was the jumping off point for the Accrington Pals.

Is it possible with modern technology to confirm whether or not this hollow was indeed the front line trench on 1 July 1916?

Thank you

Mark

Mark,

this is the jumping off plan for 1st July from the Pals diary

post-15439-1251250331.jpg

Trench maps and aerial photos show the frontline in front of the Mark and Copse Trench running behind. IMHO, yes it's the frontline

cheers, Jon

Is it possible with modern technology to confirm whether or not this hollow was indeed the front line trench on 1 July 1916?

yes , it is possible... and , no, it's not the front-line trench (which was in the vicinity of the present day track).

Dave.

yes , it is possible... and , no, it's not the front-line trench (which was in the vicinity of the present day track).

Dave.

Ahh! that explains why I thought my PDA was out Dave....the location I was given for the front line on that was exactly as you've just explained, the hollow assumed to be the front line trench was yards behind me. Many thanks for clearing that up.

regards

Tom

Thank you Gentlemen, very good of you..

Mark

• 4 months later...
I stand corrected. Which is the trench that is evident then? Copse Trench?

cheers, Jon

My apologies for the belated reply but, having just become the proud owner of several May/June 1915 French trenchmaps of the area I notice that the 'trench' is also shown on these... it would appear to simply be a pre-war ditch.

Dave

Hi Dave, interesting that what I believed for years was the front line trench now appears to be just a ditch in the area of the front line.

Can I ask and because the French maps are from 1915, could a trench have been constructed from this ditch after the British arrived? Would it be possible for somebody with Linesman to clarify such a question?

Thank you

Mark

Hi Dave, interesting that what I believed for years was the front line trench now appears to be just a ditch in the area of the front line.

Can I ask and because the French maps are from 1915, could a trench have been constructed from this ditch after the British arrived? Would it be possible for somebody with Linesman to clarify such a question?

Thank you

Mark

Mark,

due to their proximity with the actual British front-line trench of 1916 (which, incidentally, would appear to have been a half-constructed German work before becoming the French front-line in June 1915) it'd be pretty much a pointless exercise to convert it into a trench (though it's possible that this ditch actually was the frontline trench a little further to the north...an area I didn't check)

Dave... (PS. this was actually a question I asked myself a few years back when I first recieved Linesman...and so this was one of the first places I decided to check upon when I got it (I'd always been suspicious about the so-called front-line trench in the memorial park...something never quite seemed right to me even when I first visitied it when I was a kid)

Oh well you live and learn as they say..

Thanks for that Dave.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
Mark,

this is the jumping off plan for 1st July from the Pals diary

post-15439-1251250331.jpg

Trench maps and aerial photos show the frontline in front of the Mark and Copse Trench running behind. IMHO, yes it's the frontline

cheers, Jon

What I woud like to know is where did you get that plan of the Pals trenches.

Back in 1980 when William Turner was researching the Accrington Pals there was no such map in the war diaries.

Bill and I made several trips down to Kew over the following years and obtained a copy of the Pals war diary, we pointed out to the curator that several pages were missing in the late 1915 to April 1916, we were told that they had been stolen some years before.

Captain Heys made no mention of any trench plan in his history of the 11th E.L.

Retlaw.

Just to confirm what Dave has said about the front line trench being in front of Sheffield Memorial Park. Using "Linesman" I've traced the trench line onto an aerial photograph,

and this clearly shows the trench being a number of yards outside the boundary fence, especially at the southern end.....

regards

Tom

post-5284-1265649361.jpg

Good of you Tom, cheers

Mark

Maps corrected to 17/02/17 Show the current line within the memorial

Maps corrected to 19/08/16

Maps corrected to 17/02/17 Show the current line within the memorial

If you take a look at the maps posted, none of them show the front line trench anywhere near being inside the part of the wood or boundary that is now Sheffield Memorial Park.

regards

Tom

Does anyone know who dug the front-line trench that was the British front line on 1st July. Did the British take over the already-dug trench or did they push forward? Early 1915 maps show this line to be between 400 and 800 metres behind German lines and there is no trench recorded there. What is marked is a talus or embankment which follows exactly the 1st July line even as far as the Z bend at John Copse

Any ideas?

If you take a look at the maps posted, none of them show the front line trench anywhere near being inside the part of the wood or boundary that is now Sheffield Memorial Park.

regards

Tom

Yes they do - post 15.

Maybe we are relying on the mapmapers skills a bit to much (as good as they were)

These are the British and German frontlines from a few different maps.

Mick

I thought that Sheffield Memorial Park was just the small enclosure at the South West of todays wood, everything else was private shooting land....

maybe I'm wrong, if so I stand to be corrected.....my apologies ....

regards

Tom

post-5284-1265735294.jpg

What I woud like to know is where did you get that plan of the Pals trenches.

Back in 1980 when William Turner was researching the Accrington Pals there was no such map in the war diaries.

Bill and I made several trips down to Kew over the following years and obtained a copy of the Pals war diary, we pointed out to the curator that several pages were missing in the late 1915 to April 1916, we were told that they had been stolen some years before.

Captain Heys made no mention of any trench plan in his history of the 11th E.L.

Retlaw.

It's still a mystery where that map of the trenches at Serre in post No2 came from then????

Tom

A very good point Mick and thanks for the overlays. I think its safe to say that the hollow in front of the Accrington memorial was definately not the front line however what these lines now indicate is that Serre Road number 3 is probably over the front line, a cemetery I always believed being sited in no mans land? The German lines are also a lot closer than I first imagined..

I realise we are only guessing but with the advent of Linesman it certainly brings up a different viewpoint to what I believed previously.

Many thanks gents..

Mark

None of the maps show the current trench, so my point is that until one of us stands in the trench with the GPS and mark it on the IGN we won't know for sure.

None of the maps show the current trench, so my point is that until one of us stands in the trench with the GPS and mark it on the IGN we won't know for sure.

Been there and done it (though I haven't marked it on a map that I can post)...that's why I was so confident in my claim that it's not the front line trench (though, as I said, I never really believed it was anyway!)

Dave