Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform

fescott

post-48344-1251218677.jpg

Hi, Have just been sent this photo of a great uncle Walter Skerritt, need to identify uniform is it Seaforth Highlander.

Frank

Could well be, but could also be other Scots regiments

It looks like you might be able to read the shoulder title on the original - it would read SEAFORTH.

I can't really tell on the small / low res image here....although it looks to me as though there is an O near the end (Gordon?)

Shoulder title would be diagnostic.

Chris

EDIT:

PS had a quick look at MICs there is a card for Walter Kerritt (Seaforth) Pte 2709 who was later transferred to the Labour Corps (Pte 60300) and was also eligible for the Silver War Badge - so probably wounded and discharged. He went to France and Flanders on the 15th June 1915 and thus was eligable for the 14-15 star, BW and Victory medals.

Edited by 4thGordons

Looks like he's wearing a lanyard. Would that mean he was in a transportation or pioneer unit in the Seaforths?

Looks like he's wearing a lanyard. Would that mean he was in a transportation or pioneer unit in the Seaforths?

No, I don't think so. Lanyards were very common (I believe intended to be universal on active service) amongst all arms/roles.

Chris

No, I don't think so. Lanyards were very common (I believe intended to be universal on active service) amongst all arms/roles.

Chris

For the clasp knife?

For the clasp knife?

Yes, usually.

Chris