Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for Grandad

Caledonian

Hi....pretty new to all this but would like to try and find out about my grandfather's military service history. I new he served in India either during the 1st or 2nd World War with the Seaforth Highlanders. The problem is there is no one left alive who knew his service number, or his battalion, where else he served, medals etc,. etc. I guess I need his service number to start but where would I get this from? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Caledonian

Bob Ross

Ross,

What was your grandfathers name? Service number would be a great help but unless you have medals or documents it will probably be very difficult to identify him.

John

Ross,

What was your grandfathers name? Service number would be a great help but unless you have medals or documents it will probably be very difficult to identify him.

John

HI John,

My name is Bob. My Grandfather was born Clement Ross but later adopted a William as a middle name. I have no service number nor medals or documents. He was born in 1902 which would have made him too young to enlist in WW1 so it would have had to be WW2 he served. Im sure it can be found, just don't know how to find his service number.

Going on the limited information you have maybe it would be best to contact the Veterans agency.

Freephone 0800 169 22 77 (UK only)

Regards,

Phil

Going on the limited information you have maybe it would be best to contact the Veterans agency.

Freephone 0800 169 22 77 (UK only)

Regards,

Phil

Thanks Phil....I'll give it a try.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks Phil....I'll give it a try.

Well, now a little more wiser than before. Its amazing how adept one can become when faced with a tricky situation. I contacted the Veteran's Organisation who advised me to complete a series of forms and pay a £30 non refundable fee for a search. However before doing that I contacted the Highlanders museum to see if they had a record of my grandfather's service. Caramba.....they not only were able to trace his service number, but they also were able to send me a copy of his enlistment rentry in the register made in 1931. This information was just what I needed to make the next step. So for all those currently searching....don't give up, and be prepared to explore all avenues. You may be surprise what you'll find.

Bob Ross :poppy: