Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st. Battalion Berkshire Regiment

Mangoman

Private 10638 Reginald Osbert Barefoot was killed on 6 March 1915 and is buried at Guards Cemetery, Windy Corner, Cuinchy, France. I have been unable to establish where his Battalion was serving when he was killed so hope somebody can help me with my problem? ^_^

1st Batn Royal Berkshire Regiment War Diary states.

6th March 1915.

Quiet morning: battn ordered to make a demonstration at 3pm to help the French who were to attack Notre Dame De Lorrette. Rifle fire was opened and continued for about one hour. Our artillery also fired. Enemy replied by rifle fire and shelling our trenches. Btn ordered to demonstrate again at 11pm and 1am.

Regards and best wishes,

Scottie.

Thanks for your help Scottie.

Dave :D

Dave,

no problems, just out of interest looking at your other post are the Barefoot's related to you?

Regards,

Scottie.

Scottie,

Yes I am connected to the Barefoot family via my mother - it was her maiden name.

Dave,

I have an interest in the Royal Berkshire's as my Grandfathers brother served with them until he died of wounds. If you did not know the Museum has a good website with links to the War Diaries. www.thewardrobe.org.uk

Regards and best wishes with your research.

scottie.

Thanks for the advice Scottie. Will deffo have a look at the Wardrobe site you suggest.

Dave ;)

Dave

When you go into the Regimental Museum site at THE WARDROBE look down the left of the page as you look at it and click into THE COLLECTION. You will then get a number of options to search one of which is NAME. Put BAREFOOT in and you will come up with three, one of whom is a photo of your man. It that fails click into OBJECT NUMBER with the number 27997 that will take you via a different route to the same end. Just for your info the Museum is called THE WARDROBE because the building in question is located next to Salisbury Cathederal and many years ago belonged to the Bishop. Its a large old building not a cupboard. The reason the Royal Berkshire collection is in Wiltshire is down to Amalgamations. The collection you will view on the site is being added to all the time and as we speak the site is being worked on for a major upgrade which hopefully will make it easier to navigate (All down to cash ). The museum is aiming to get evertything it can on THE COLLECTION adding to the large amount already in place. Good luck with your research.

Cheers

MAC

Strange, no mention of him here This site is the work of forum member purley, he may be able to shed some light?

There were two men killed on this day with the 1st Battalion - the other was 9854 Joseph Fitzpatrick. The first Battalion were not very good at noting OR casualties in the war diary. I suspect the two were killed when a German minenwerfer destroyed part of their front line trench.

John