Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What does an injury ICT mean ?

Richard Matlock

Hello all just kindly been sent a service record for a DVR G .DUFF. R.A

on his service record in Augsut 1916 he is admitted to hospital and then to England with I.C.T.Ankle ?

Any idea what an I.C.T is ?

Rich M :blink:

Agreed, Doc. To get him first hospitalised and then evacuated to England, I thought perhaps a ruptured Achilles tendon.

Still going through the service record which is about 27 pages, i think he was run over by a wagoon which possibly caused this injury that would seem to fit in with the ICT.

Thanks again Rich M :blink::poppy::ph34r:

• 7 years later...

Not sure if this thread is still being watched. I have also just identified the "I C T ankle" term on my grandfathers records. I know for certain this term was being used to describe his trench foot.

According to the AWM Medical History, ICT as a category was sometimes used to disguise the prevalence of trench foot (& thus perhaps point an accusing finger at poor discipline / hygiene / management).

"It had proved at least a convenient means for the camouflage (as ‘‘I.C.T.’ or “sore feet”) of much trench foot".

Greg

Sorry, should have added the reference: AWM Medical History Vol2 Chap5 Page97

Greg

19 hours ago, IPT said:

Can you be sure it wasn't in addition to his trench foot?

As sure as  I can be. No family oral or written history of any other war injury. Plenty oral history about the trench foot. No researched evidence of other injuries found. He was admitted to a temporary Red Cross hospital in the UK on 3rd December 1918 after hostilities ceased. Many other patients there were identified as either trench foot admissions or had "myalgia".