Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

uniform

edward humphreys

dear all

i would like assistance to identify the regiment please sergeant william henry williams was born in liverpool and survived the first world war it would assist me greatly with family research if i knew who he served with i have uploaded a photograph for perusal

many thanks

ted humphreys

post-26853-1250877735.jpg

Royal Engineers, I'd say.

Hello Ted

Searching the Medal Index cards for "Sergeant William Williams" returns 175 entries. There are four with William H:

Medal card of Williams, William H

Corps: Yorkshire Regiment

Regiment No: 27154

Corps: Machine Gun Corps

Regiment No: 106712 (Incomplete)

Medal card of Williams, William Henry

Corps: Royal Army Service Corps

Regiment No: M2/78452

Corps: Hampshire Regiment

Regiment No: 16541

(he became a Serjeant later)

The RASC man looks the most likely of these. Do you have a service number for him?

Ron

But he's wearing RE badges (surely), and he's a corporal in the piccie, so maybe family history promoted him?

Definitely Royal Engineers.

Assuming he signed up using his full name and not just William Williams then there are 3 cards for possible William Henry Williams and a further 30 for William H Williams. Any other details to help narrow it down?

If, and it is only an if, he attained the rank of Serjeant there's only one possible card....Corporal and Serjeant William H Williams

If he only attained the rank of Corporal as in the photo then there's one possible William Henry Williams and four William H Williams

Regards

Steve

But he's wearing RE badges (surely), and he's a corporal in the piccie, so maybe family history promoted him?

Steven

Isn't it more plausible that the Army promoted him after the picture was taken? Most sergeants had previously served as corporals, and a lot of photos of this type were taken before the men went abroad, as mementoes for the family.

Steve - you obviously spent more time scanning the medal index cards than i did! I foolishly assumed that they would be listed in alphabetical order so I paged straight to the end of the list.

Ron

hi steve

many thanks all i know about him is that he married in liverpool and lived there thereafter with the clue about the royal engineers and being a corporal i should be able to find him am i right in thinking that he would be shown as reme it was my mistake, he was a corporal

cheers

ted

Definitely Royal Engineers.

Assuming he signed up using his full name and not just William Williams then there are 3 cards for possible William Henry Williams and a further 30 for William H Williams. Any other details to help narrow it down?

If, and it is only an if, he attained the rank of Serjeant there's only one possible card....Corporal and Serjeant William H Williams

If he only attained the rank of Corporal as in the photo then there's one possible William Henry Williams and four William H Williams

Regards

Steve

hi steve many thanks it was my mistake he was a corporal lived in liverpool and married there

many thanks

ted