Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFC Edinburgh 1916

sunflower

I have a friend who is working on a history project which involves the history of the local airfield as far back as the great war. The airfield was in East Lothian, Scotland.

So far they have found out that part of the site is reported to have been used as a World War I landing ground. 77 Squadron RAF originally formed as a fighter squadron within the Royal Flying Corps (RFC) at Edinburgh on October 1, 1916, as part of the home defence of Scotland against German airships, and for the training of pilots in night flying prior to service overseas.

The Squadron moved To Turnhouse airfield on April 13, 1917, carrying out defensive patrols, then re-equipped in January 1918, with Avro 504K aircraft modified for night fighting. The 504K was a two-seat training aircraft which featured a universal mount able to accept different engines. Following the formation of the Royal Air Force (RAF) on April 1, 1918, the squadron moved to Macmerry (Penston) airfield, where it was disbanded on June 13, 1919.

Is there anywhere else they can go to get more information? Would appreciate any help, ideas etc.

Many thanks, sunflower

Malcolm Fife's book "Scottish Aerodromes of the First World War" might be a good starting point.

Seems there were landing fields around Edinburgh at Turnhouse, Colinton, Gilmerton and Myreside as well as the Grantown Seaplane station.

Regards

Drover

Big thanks to Drover and Malcolm. This is very helpful.

sunflower

The airfield at West Fenton was used by the 77 squadron from 1915 onwards. Gullane airfield was used by the American 41st Aero-Squadron in 1918. A few more details and accounts can be found in a small book"The Story of Drem Airfield" George J.F. Simpson" published by Gullane and Dirleton History Society. I bought my copy in the bookshop in Gullane some years ago. You might also try contacting that society

Glen

At the UK National Archives:

AIR 27/655 No 77 Squadron: Operations Record Book 1916 Oct. 1941 Dec.

There are numerous reference for the Royal Naval Air Station of East Fortune, but none for Drem, Turnhouse, orWest Fenton available on the catalog.

This is all great stuff. I have passed on the info to my friend who is more than delighted with the help from forum members.

thanks again, sunflower