Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fuze parts

John Cubin

The left hand part is plain and non-magnetic. The centre one is made of brass and stamped 'GB'. I'll stick my neck out and guess it's British! The right hand one has a bronze appearance, also non-magnetic with raised markings 'V' '2' '1' and near the centre the punched letter 'u'. Anyone familiar with any of these, please?

post-2613-1250864017.jpg

They look to me to be fuze cups that sit below the fuze and above the shrapnel in the shell. Without scale it's difficult to say what shells they are from but the centre one looks like an 18pdr but I'm not sure about the others, 13 pdr perhaps.

John

Looking at my drawings of an American Shrapnel Shell it seems that given your dimensions they are parts of the American 75mm shrapnel round.

John

That's interesting, John. They came from the Bazentin area. Thanks again.

John.

French then?

John

It could be French/American as the American used the carriage of the 18 Pdr but the barrel bored out to 75 mm. The American 75/3 in Shrapnel Shell used a No 85 Fuze same as the British Shrapnel Shell with one exception that the base of the fuze body is shaped to suit the American shell, and the thread is the U.S. standard, instead of the British Standard Whitworth thread, also the American Shrapnel shell was machined to accept a Tracer insert in the base.

John