Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Balance between British and Australian

cs_cooper

Members may recall that I asked the question of the recovery team at Warwick last Monday, and received a ....no comment. This caused some concern in subsequent postings. The answer as to their reluctance to even give me a guesstimate may appear in The Australian 20th. August 2009.

I apologise for being unalbe to cut and paste comments from Defence Personnel Minister Greg Combet's article (no 12 year old with me) but I quote him:-

"most of them are Diggers."

"the overwhelming majority are Australian."

It would appear from this that there will be few British remains found, and as the 2/7 Warwicks were at the very southern end of the battle, I am now not too hopeful.

Chalkie.

Chalkie

I would not be despondent.

It has always been known that the burial pits were likely to contain the minimum of 191 Aussies as per the great work carried out by Tim & Sandra:

http://www.fromelles.net/

Nothing has really changed since.

Mel

Chalkie

I would not be despondent.

It has always been known that the burial pits were likely to contain the minimum of 191 Aussies as per the great work carried out by Tim & Sandra:

http://www.fromelles.net/

Nothing has really changed since.

Mel

Chalkie

this is a point I have also picked up in the new thread I just started on how is it the 21st Bavarian Regiment seems to have been responsible for recovering the dead for the 17th and 16th Bavarian Regiments which actually faced the British lines.

I think isst worth also asking how these two other Bavarian Regiments dealt with British dead after the battle- was it all delegated to the 21st Bavarians to deal with or not? If not what happened then?

Richard