Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gunner Edward Bogan(M.M)

johnsammc

Hi all,

Im trying to get information on this man.I have his photo,service record but i cant find him listed with the CWG or in SDGW.Hes on the Coatbridge Memorial.His number is 87626 and his Service Record states he was born in Belfast and lived in Donegal.

Also on the same name.Pte William Bogan of the 8th Inniskillings is listed on the Memorial but not his brother Thomas James of the 7th who died 13 days earlier and has only recently been recognised by the CWGC.The strange thing is its Thomas who is listed in the Coatbridge RoH book along with his photo but not William.

These 3 men have a strong link to Donegal and according to the 1911 census there was a family of Bogans in Donegal Town that matches with all 3 names but im not sure.

Can anyone help with this as ive been going round in circles for the past couple of days.

Thanks guys

John McCann

Im trying to get information on this man.I have his photo,service record but i cant find him listed with the CWG or in SDGW.Hes on the Coatbridge Memorial.His number is 87626 and his Service Record states he was born in Belfast and lived in Donegal.

John

I've only done a quick check but I assume he's not on CWGC or SDGW because perhaps he didn't die?

His record, available on Ancestry, shows that he had three years one hundred & twenty days previous service with the RGA when he signed on again on 14th March 1919 in Salonika on Short Service forms until 31st March 1921. On one of the sheets it shows that he deserted on 16th April 1920, his Medal Card is annotated accordingly in that his British War & Victory Medals were forfeited in August 1922. Perhaps it was easier on the family to say he'd died than to admit he'd deserted?

Steve

John

I've only done a quick check but I assume he's not on CWGC or SDGW because perhaps he didn't die?

His record, available on Ancestry, shows that he had three years one hundred & twenty days previous service with the RGA when he signed on again on 14th March 1919 in Salonika on Short Service forms until 31st March 1921. On one of the sheets it shows that he deserted on 16th April 1920, his Medal Card is annotated accordingly in that his British War & Victory Medals were forfeited in August 1922. Perhaps it was easier on the family to say he'd died than to admit he'd deserted?

Steve

Thanks for that Steve.His entry in the book says "Gunner Bogan was awarded the M.M for having,at Ypres,carried on visually signalling in the face of heavy fire and showed continuous gallantry with disregard for personal safety".

Think you may be right concerning the family.Ive looked at his MIC.As im doing a project concerning the Coatbridge men im not sure what to do about this.Any suggestions.I want to give an accurate account but i dont want to hurt any of the families

Thanks again

John

John

On the face of it it appears that he deserted but have you checked to see whether he's listed on the GRO Army Deaths overseas? It's a possibility that he could be listed and died after the CWGC cut off date? Alternatively he could have deserted, come home and died there, again after the CWGC date, but having served it was deemed appropriate to add his name to the memorial.

Regards

Steve