Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench Map - Fleurbaix - 11th Battalion Sherwood Forresters -6/3/1916

LindsayH

Hi all.

My G uncle George Proctor (17965) was wounded on 6/3/1916 while serving with the 11th battalion Sherwood Forresters at Fleurbaix. I have this information from the battalion war diaries. I am woundering if anyone can :

A. Shed some light on the battle he and his battilion would have been involved at the time. Daries are a little light on for detail - or maybe I am expecting to much - as is 'men from greenwood' around this time but a great resource.

B. A map of the trenches the 11th SF battalion were occupying at the time and who they were fighting!

I appreciate any help..I'm anovice ast this so pls excuse my request.

Lindsay

Hi Lindsay

They would have been in trenches in and about La Boutillerie. Jay Post, mentioned in The Men From The Greenwood, was in square N 6 a

Regards

Martin

Lindsay

Unfortunately there is no map covering Sheet 36 N6 for 1916 on the otherwise excellent McMasters Uni trench map site which you can find here

http://library.mcmaster.ca/maps/ww1/home.htm

However there is a map from 1918 and as the lines did not move much in this area during the war (apart from getting more complex) it will give you an idea of the area your great uncle was wounded. Follow the map link then choose the 1:5000, 1:40000 scale and when the large map appears find 36 click on that and then scroll down towards the bottom of the list to 36SW Aubers 1918/07. The area you want is at the top of the map in the centre.

Tim B

Which is available free here, if you've not come across it: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancest...od%20Foresters/

Thanks all for the info. I have downloaded the Foresters book and great read.

I will look for the info and thanks Tim for the link......a great forum and helps put things into perspective knowing where it all happened...I'll check out the maps as you have described....

Best Regards..... Lindsay

Hi Lindsay

They would have been in trenches in and about La Boutillerie. Jay Post, mentioned in The Men From The Greenwood, was in square N 6 a

Regards

Martin

Thanks for the info Martin..I checked out the referneces you gave and they seem to tie in with accounts. As you can probably tell I am hungry for any info from around the time George was occupying the trences....It is shame I cant get the name of the trench!...but these maps are excellent.

Appreciated.

Lindsay