Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Marshall uniform buttons

Tribuno

Hello

I have a doubt and I can´t find the answer. British marshall uniforms have special brass buttons with two crossed batons, or use the same as general-officers, with baton and sword.

And about cap badges or rank patches, when they use embroidered and when metal ones?

Thanks

A Field Marshal's button is two crossed batons in a wreath. (No crown above). A General Officer is crossed sword and baton in wreath.

As to cap and rank badges, brigadiers (who were officers of General rank until 1922) and above certainly wore metal (bronze) General Officers cap badges in the field, on plain khaki caps but embroidered badges were the norm. I have never seen a metal Field Marshal's cap badge.

In WW1 the rank worn on the shoulder by Generals and Field Marshals were invariably metal.

A Field Marshal's button is two crossed batons in a wreath. (No crown above). A General Officer is crossed sword and baton in wreath.

As to cap and rank badges, brigadiers (who were officers of General rank until 1922) and above certainly wore metal (bronze) General Officers cap badges in the field, on plain khaki caps but embroidered badges were the norm. I have never seen a metal Field Marshal's cap badge.

In WW1 the rank worn on the shoulder by Generals and Field Marshals were invariably metal.

Thanks Staffsyeoman, that was all I wanted to know.

Regards

Carlos

A Field Marshal's button is two crossed batons in a wreath. (No crown above).

Not according to Dress Regulations 1911 - the edition current during the war:

"Crossed batons and crown within a laurel wreath."

Incidentally the buttons were supposed to be gilt metal, not brass, though brass may have been used in service dress i.e. khaki.

Ron

• 4 weeks later...

Hello

At last I found the regulations you were talking about:

147. Buttons.—Gilt. Crossed batons and crown within a laurel wreath.

Would be something like this:

post-34485-1253153114.jpg

Regards

Here is a link to a nice Field Marshall's Beret badge, batons, wreath crown and lion.

Alan

Hello ghost

Thanks for the photo it is going to be useful with the cap badge. The most similar to the fieldmarshall button real appearance is this general-officer button I found in diggerstory. I suppose only have to replace the sword for another baton. It is only a hypothesis but I still don't know any ww1 fieldmarshall to ask for one button... :( .

post-34485-1254201450.jpg