Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

In Flanders Field Museum

jdajd

I was Bruce Bairnsfather the last time I was there.

I found my ticket in the bottom of my daysack the other day, along with a cutlery sleeve from the cafe down the road from the Dodengang/Trench of Death.

Cheers,

Nigel

I was Bruce Bairnsfather the last time I was there.

I found my ticket in the bottom of my daysack the other day, along with a cutlery sleeve from the cafe down the road from the Dodengang/Trench of Death.

Cheers,

Nigel

TUT TUT we only been back since March :lol:

And the worst thing is that I use this bag every day for work!

Who were you Bruce?

cant remember think i was some french guy if i rember he diddnt last long story of my life :lol:

I can't believe you guys are talking about the same Flanders Field Museum that i visited a couple of months ago.

I thought the place was truly amazing - it was alive with history and brought things home in a real way that many dry dusty museums don't manage to do. Most 'museums' are little more than shelves packed with artefacts, this is something much different and I thought it truly awesome.

I can't believe you guys are talking about the same Flanders Field Museum that i visited a couple of months ago.

I thought the place was truly amazing - it was alive with history and brought things home in a real way that many dry dusty museums don't manage to do. Most 'museums' are little more than shelves packed with artefacts, this is something much different and I thought it truly awesome.

Steve

I think many of us prefer to see the old style museums, packed with artefacts, where we can draw our own conclusions about the conflict, not be fed a PC, sanitised, precis of history, with 90% of the detail left out. For many people interested in history, the devil is in the detail.

John

Steve

I think many of us prefer to see the old style museums, packed with artefacts, where we can draw our own conclusions about the conflict, not be fed a PC, sanitised, precis of history, with 90% of the detail left out. For many people interested in history, the devil is in the detail.

John

Old style un pc every time im with you

Well it seems to me that there are plenty of 'Old Style' museums out there, surely there is room for something with a little more imagination. If you want kids to be interested in this topic and remember those who must never be forgotten, you have to make it interesting for them.

I thought it was brilliant, by far the most interesting and informative of all the ones I visited.

Well it seems to me that there are plenty of 'Old Style' museums out there, surely there is room for something with a little more imagination. If you want kids to be interested in this topic and remember those who must never be forgotten, you have to make it interesting for them.

I thought it was brilliant, by far the most interesting and informative of all the ones I visited.

I think most people would have preferred it if they kept the old musuem as it was and then created a new PC one 'down the road' somewhere' in a new modern building like in they Caen (done by the same people). Perronne Historial is also by the same people.

John

Well, I think we must agree to differ. The one at the Gate which is run by the pub is also brilliant, but in a very different way.

Perhaps we should just be glad that these things exist in whatever form - the world would be a poorer place without them.

The one at the Gate which is run by the pub is also brilliant, but in a very different way.

I take it you mean the one at the Lille Gate.

Just out of interest which other museums did you visit in the Salient

I was staying just around the corner from the Lille Gate (Kannonweg) and the Museum/Pub was our local. We went to Hooge Crater, Passendale Museum and dug out, the Big one in Perrone (My Gt Uncle is buried in Perrone) and another couple which I can't remember at the moment.

Quite a varied choice Steve,

I can't comment on the old museum, although IFF is not one of my favourites it does have a couple of good bits. I would say Passendale and Diksmuide are 2 of my favourites in Flanders, and 2 I wouldn't hesitate to recomend to people

Can't say I am keen on the Flanders Fields. Personally I find it very 'busy' there is a lot of information , noises and images presented in a way which I find difficult to access. Does anybody really look at the individual parts of the montages rather than just seeing a mass of images? There is quite a lot of unlabelled material which is frustrating.It doesnt seem to me to create a clear chronology of the war. It is I think to be commended for considering the Belgian home front and medical services. I like the idea of 'characters' but frequently trying to teach students there I feel this kind of thing could be accessed from 'wherever' preferably prior to the day so that students could concentrate on things they can't access on line! I also find it noisy ,crowded and dark! Would be greatly improved by a section where students were allowed to handle reproduction equipment and materials- the space issue is however a major one.

For student interaction you can't beat Teddy at Ulster Tower on the Somme. Dresses up a student in uniform and hands him/her a rifle - instant student interest.

Greg