Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Modern Map reference for Google

shaun42

Can anyone help me to find the modern grid references for a burial site.

William Joseph Burnham was killed on April 16/17th at Tombois Farm, I had a newspaper cutting telling his parents he was buried and that they would be sent details after the War was over.

I know however he was remembered on the Theipval Memorial as having no none grave.

Someone kindly sent me the records of the Battalion Rolls which record the ref. to the orginal burial spot, and I would like to be able to find this on a modern map or Google Earth etc.

The Ref is

62C NE F11 b31 South of Tombois Farm

Can anyone help

Shaun

Can anyone help me to find the modern grid references for a burial site.

William Joseph Burnham was killed on April 16/17th at Tombois Farm, I had a newspaper cutting telling his parents he was buried and that they would be sent details after the War was over.

I know however he was remembered on the Theipval Memorial as having no none grave.

Someone kindly sent me the records of the Battalion Rolls which record the ref. to the orginal burial spot, and I would like to be able to find this on a modern map or Google Earth etc.

The Ref is

62C NE F11 b31 South of Tombois Farm

Can anyone help

Shaun

Hello Shaun,

Search epehy/lempire you will find several maps of the area on that thread.

Cheers.

Colin.

Hoping this is what you require Shaun.............taken from "Linesman"

regards

Tom

post-5284-1250712582.jpg

post-5284-1250712687.jpg

And finally Google with Co-ordinates...

post-5284-1250713231.jpg

Thanks Tom

The Maps are great, When looking at the old trench map and then google map, The spot seems to be closer to Tombois Farm on the modern map and on the other side of the road on the trench map.

I suppose the road has been moved at some time.

Thanks again these will help as I plan to visit the area soon.

Shaun

Shaun

I don't think anything has moved, just the sunken lanes marked on the map have been filled in to ease agriculture.

Here is a linesMan screen shot, in more detail, with the Trench map features of Farm and roads traced, to show their positions on a modern aerial.

It also shows the GPS Co Ordinates if you need them.

I would not rely too accurately on the positions given in Google Earth, it is a very broad tool.

Guy

post-12226-1250847807.jpg

Thanks Guy

I was interpreting the new road as having been built on the road marked on the trench map as London Rd but looking closer I can see the remains of that road on your map just below Tombois Farm.

Thanks again

Shaun