Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Royal Dublin Fusiliers

johnnyg

Hi,

Does any of you good people have any information on the 8th Dubs for the few days around Nov. 28th 1917.

All I know is they were part of a diversionary attack at the battle of Cambrai.

In particular I'm looking for info regarding Capt. H.C. Poulter who was killed on Nov 29th.

Thanks

Johnny

• 2 months later...

According to this site http://www.greatwar.ie/ire_batmb.html the 8th and 9th Dublins were amalgamated on October 24th. I know that the 8th Batt. R.D.F. fought in the 3rd Battle of Ypres in July 1917.

My grandfather was in the 8th Batt. Royal Dublin Fusiliers. He was shot at Ypres around that time and after he got released from hospital he was tranferred to the GRU until he was discharged in 1919.

He seems to have been one of at least 4 serving brothers

POULTER Capt. Henry Chapman. who fell Fontaine les Croiselle on Nov 29th.1917. Age 23 Son of Henry C. Poulter, of St. Brigid's, Roebuck, Clonskeagh, Co. Dublin. MIC shows joined as a Private, went into Gallipoli on 7 Aug 1915, commissioned from ranks 7 Feb 1916. Died of Wounds.

POULTER Second Lieutenant Wilfred Forman. 24th Squadron, Royal Flying Corps. Killed in flight action at Villers Outreaux, 6th March 1918. Son of Mr. and Mrs. H. C. Poulter, of St. Brigids, Roebuck, Clonskeagh, Co. Dublin. ,

POULTER Capt Terence, 7th Royal Dublin Fusiliers (I assume another brother as same address on MIC as Henry C Poulter). Entered France 20 Apr 1917

POULTER Lt Edgar Alan, Royal Dublin Fusiliers. I assume another brother as same address on MIC.Went into Gallipoli on 9 Aug 1915. Commissioned from ranks

He seems to have been one of at least 4 serving brothers

POULTER Capt. Henry Chapman. who fell Fontaine les Croiselle on Nov 29th.1917. Age 23 Son of Henry C. Poulter, of St. Brigid's, Roebuck, Clonskeagh, Co. Dublin. MIC shows joined as a Private, went into Gallipoli on 7 Aug 1915, commissioned from ranks 7 Feb 1916. Died of Wounds.

POULTER Second Lieutenant Wilfred Forman. 24th Squadron, Royal Flying Corps. Killed in flight action at Villers Outreaux, 6th March 1918. Son of Mr. and Mrs. H. C. Poulter, of St. Brigids, Roebuck, Clonskeagh, Co. Dublin. ,

POULTER Capt Terence, 7th Royal Dublin Fusiliers (I assume another brother as same address on MIC as Henry C Poulter). Entered France 20 Apr 1917

POULTER Lt Edgar Alan, Royal Dublin Fusiliers. I assume another brother as same address on MIC.Went into Gallipoli on 9 Aug 1915. Commissioned from ranks

Hello.

Can you tell me where you found that information? I am trying to find out how many of my grandfathers brothers served in WW1.

Thanks.

• 5 months later...
Hello.

Can you tell me where you found that information? I am trying to find out how many of my grandfathers brothers served in WW1.

Thanks.

Hi Cilldara,

Sorry for the delay in replying, I've been offline for a while. Anyway assuming they're Irish I would start with the 1911 census;

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/ and if you've time go into the archives in Dublin & check the 1901 census. There is work underway to put this online but it's not there yet. This should give you a good idea of the number of children in the family.

You can check the CWGC for casualties & the medal card index for all that served. The CWGC may not have any family details if none were returned by the soldiers relatives. I have a subscription to view the medal cards so I'd be happy to look up your relatives.

Regards

John