Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help With Uniform Identification

Dagwood

I've attached a photo that is supposed to be of a great-uncle and aunt of mine. I assume he's in a uniform dating from circa 1900 to 1920. I've done some online research on the uniform, but I'm getting nowhere. I think his left sleeve has crossed rifles, I believe this was some sort of proficiency badge. The rest of the uniform seems to be ceremonial. Any help as to what unit he was in would be most gratefully received.

Stephen

post-36779-1250549265.jpg

Hello, not much help, but I think he is in a Cavalry Regiment. I think he must be a dragoon, as Hussars and Lancers wore a different pattern of tunic.

Regards,

Stewart

I have a picture of 2nd Dragoon Guards for which the tunic seems right but cant see the badge on collar .. this is certainly the right area anyway I suspect.. if you can get some more detail on collar and compare with Dragoon badges??

david

I would go with a Dragoon as well - IIRC Dragoon Guards had pointed cuffs.

He has two Good Conduct badges and a marksman's badge.

I wonder if the White Facings on his tunic will tie it down to a regiment? I can't find my list of facing colours! Anyone have any ideas who wore white?

Stewart

If they are indeed white facings; with this type of film might they also be yellow?

With my old tired eyes I would suggest that the collar facing is yellow with a white outer bordering.

Cheers Roger.

Many thanks for the information. Based on the answers I've received so far I've looked on the net for Dragoon uniforms. The closest matches I've found so far appear to be for the 2nd or 3rd Dragoon Guards. The following link shows a trooper of the 3rd Dragoons in 1905 walking out uniform, http://www.britishempire.co.uk/forces/army...lry/3dg1905.htm, many of the details appear similar to those of my man. I note the regimental museum is at Chester, Bernard McDonald, my great-uncle, lived in Seacombe, Wirral so could this have been a regiment that was local to him in 1914?

Stephen