Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Frank Rayner

DDP1955

If I have uploaded this properly and t's a big if ....

This a picture of one of my great uncles, I know nothing about him apart from his name ...

Could anybody identify the regiment from this picture? Or give me some idea of which regiments were mounted. At the moment I am just trying to find his MIC, but dont know which regiments were mounted!!

post-39556-1250539928.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

DD

I can't read what it says over the door ! The man on the extreme right looks like he could be an Indian ? I will guess that this was taken in India (pith helmet too).

There are a lot of F RAYNERs /RAYNORS on the MIC list !

There is only one F RAYNER on CWGC with the right rank,a RSM (4713) who died in 1918 and is buried in Harrogate. He was in the 1/5 West Yorkshires,though I tend to think that if the pic shows him on horseback he is likely to be Cavalry.

Sotonmate

Dianne. There are only 10 Frank Rayners on Ancestry as I can see (ignoring second initial) and only one sergeant, a farrier sergeant in the Duke of Lancasters Own Yeomanry, he became a 2L/t, does the address of 105 High street Stalybridge mean anything ? Ralph.

I can't read what it says over the door ! The man on the extreme right looks like he could be an Indian ? I will guess that this was taken in India (pith helmet too). There are a lot of F RAYNERs /RAYNORS on the MIC list ! There is only one F RAYNER on CWGC with the right rank,a RSM (4713) who died in 1918 and is buried in Harrogate. He was in the 1/5 West Yorkshires,though I tend to think that if the pic shows him on horseback he is likely to be Cavalry.

Hi SM

This chap is the 2nd husband of one my great aunts and they married in 1950, so definately not the CWGC man

I didnt know he was a RSM but had picked up that he had three stripes, also his uniform and surroundings dont fit with the western front

It is perplexing me and I would love to know the regiment and at least the country this pic was taken

The picture only surfaced today, amongst some old family pictures

It could be a trick of the light but is he wearing collar dogs and is there some insignia on the side of his helmet? A closer look at those two areas may shed further light on his regiment and I thought cavalrymen didn't wear belts,

Jon

There are only 10 Frank Rayners on Ancestry as I can see (ignoring second initial) and only one sergeant, a farrier sergeant in the Duke of Lancasters Own Yeomanry, he became a 2L/t, does the address of 105 High street Stalybridge mean anything ?

Hi Ralph

I've known about this man for about a week and saw his pic for the first time today

I dont know any of his background, but have ordered his marriage cert from the GRO, as I think I am going to have to work back, to find out who he is. I currently dont know where he was born, when he was born or where he lived prior to 1950. I am going to try and find out tho

Dianne

It could be a trick of the light but is he wearing collar dogs and is there some insignia on the side of his helmet? A closer look at those two areas may shed further light on his regiment and I thought cavalrymen didn't wear belts,

I can certainly see the area on the hat, I'll try and cut the photo down and see if that reveals anything :)

• 6 months later...

Guys

I've recently discovered that Frank Rayner was born in Rastrick Yorkshire in 1901, so it is presumably very unlikely he was involved in WW1 .... which probably explains why I can't find his service papers! Would anybody have any idea of when post WW1 service papers are going to be available

Dianne

DD

You could try the Army Historical Disclosures MP555,Army Personnel Centre,65 Brown Street,Glasgow.G28EX. They hold his papers for service after 1921. I don't know when that will come in the public domain.

You will have to explain your connection to him.

Sotonmate

You will have to explain your connection to him.

SM

He is my great-aunts husband, not sure that will carry much weight

They had no children though, so maybe it will ....

DD

I've recently discovered that Frank Rayner was born in Rastrick Yorkshire in 1901, so it is presumably very unlikely he was involved in WW1

I have heard of men born in 1901 signing up. If your man was an RSM by the time the photo was taken could he have signed up early and worked his way up: I'm not sure if that works with RSMs? I haven't got my head around rankings yet, but Ralph mentions a 2L/t is suitable. There's an F A Rayner who served with the Manchester regiment : he was 2/Lieut (no number). No 1914/15 Star but a note [issd?] July 1935. Is he a possibility?

What's with going back down the ranks?

I can't log in under DianneD, after repeated attempts ....

I gave up in the end and re-registered!

• 2 weeks later...
...dont know which regiments were mounted!! ...

All regiments in 1914, and many in 1918 had at least some men who were mounted; horses were the prime means of transport. Even in WW2 the German army relied heavily on horses.

...I can't read what it says over the door ! The man on the extreme right looks like he could be an Indian ? I will guess that this was taken in India (pith helmet too)...

I think that the nicely white painted rocks also give the impression of a peacetime establishment of empire. Probably India, but might also have been one of the other outposts. If this is WWI, his campaign medals may have been issued by the India Office, not War Office. If inter war he may have qualifies for various India General Service Medals. If he can't be traced before 1950 he may well have been serving in India until Partition. If he was commissioned into the Indian Army, there may be records for him at the British Library.