Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th battalion, West Yorkshire Regiment

kjbriggs

I've noticed that this unit has featured in many discussions and that several members of this forum have a lot of information to share regarding it. I'm currently researching its role from conception as a part of Kitchener's New Army to its involvement at Gallipoli. I have a personal interest as my grt grandfather served as a private within C Company and was taken prisoner some time shortly after the landings of 6/7th August. With his imprisonment in mind I would also like to include within the scope of this discussion Allied POW's experiences in Turkey as well as anything to do with this battalion - even down to the personal stories of the officers and men. I have amassed quite a lot of info already and am intested to see where such discussions might lead.

Cheers

Keith

I am sure you will have seen the book 'British Regiments at Gallipoli' by Ray Westlake

ISBN 0 85052 511 X first published in 1996

If not then well worth obtaining a copy for it contains three useful pages on the 9th Service Bn, West Yorkshire Regt: lists of officers, fairly detailed extracts from War Diary on the assault of Chocolate Hill, etc. Provides details of casualties - Officers being named including cause of death.

Thanks Phillip, I have seen the information in Westlake's book and its very helpful. It highlights a few areas that the war diary has not cleared up. Another good document is Lt C A Elliott's recollections of the landings before he was wounded and evacuated. It provides a very demoralised and defeatist picture of the short time he spent there but is illuminating nevertheless.

I have been piecing together the background and story of the officer's and men and am slowly making inroads. Men like Lt Col John O'Brien Minogue, Capt William Barras Hore, Capt Thomas Fraser etc are all coming to life through De Ruvigny's roll of honour etc but I would still like to glean more.

I'm also particularly interested if anyone has an ancestor or knowledge of the men in this battalion who were taken captive by the Turks at Gallipli around 6-13th August.

Nevertheless, any information would be useful and it would be great to share info with anyone who has a link with this battalion.

Thanks again

Keith