Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/1 Kings (Liverpool) regiment

mick1234

Hi Pals,

Was wondering has anyone got the war diaries of the 1st Bn Kings Liverpool Regiment for May 17th and 18th 1915. This would be around the time of the Battle of Festubert. Thanks in advance.

Mick :huh:

Mick,

in the absence of the actual diary I hope the following helps,

On the evening of 16th May the battalion moved forward to captured trenches and occupied The Bulge. Took part in attack on 17th, 'A' and 'B' Companies advancing down the German front line bombing and bayoneting the enemy. Three further trenches were taken along with 200 prisoners. In another attack at 10 a.m, the battalion succeeded in reaching the moat around the Ferme Cour d' Avoine, but heavy fire from the left forced a withdrawal. The same position was attacked the following day (18th) by 'B' and 'C' Companies, but again heavy fire and casualties saw the King's retir to their start line. Batalion relieved on 19th and then to billets at Rue de Chavattes. (Westlake)

It's also worth noting that on the 16th May L/Cpl Joseph Tombs won his VC bringing in wounded men from No Man's Land (London Gazette notes the date as 16th June).

cheers, Jon

Jon

thanks for your reply, It is a great help in my research.

Two things, I have been searching on line for the Diaries and have had no luck and was wondering do they still exist and two, do you know where the bulge mentioned was in relation to the attack on the 16th.

Thanks again,

Mick

• 4 months later...
Mick,

in the absence of the actual diary I hope the following helps,

On the evening of 16th May the battalion moved forward to captured trenches and occupied The Bulge. Took part in attack on 17th, 'A' and 'B' Companies advancing down the German front line bombing and bayoneting the enemy. Three further trenches were taken along with 200 prisoners. In another attack at 10 a.m, the battalion succeeded in reaching the moat around the Ferme Cour d' Avoine, but heavy fire from the left forced a withdrawal. The same position was attacked the following day (18th) by 'B' and 'C' Companies, but again heavy fire and casualties saw the King's retir to their start line. Batalion relieved on 19th and then to billets at Rue de Chavattes. (Westlake)

It's also worth noting that on the 16th May L/Cpl Joseph Tombs won his VC bringing in wounded men from No Man's Land (London Gazette notes the date as 16th June).

cheers, Jon

Mick,

From records I have from th MOD on my Great Grandfather John Griffin 6884 who was with the 1st Bn from 31.10.1914, I can see that he was wounded in Action at Richeburg between the 16th & 17th May.

Does that help any?

Donna