Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte R P Jackson 23347 Manchester Reg

ddavemanc

Hi All

I have just recieved in the post this morning a victory medal for the above soldier which i am very pleased about as i already have his 14/15 star, just need to track down his BWM if it still survives?

I've downloaded his service records which make a very interesting read. He was reported as killed in action on the 26/08/16 and then he is listed as a prisoner of war at Laz. Grafenwoehr!

Has anyone any information on this camp? Or pictures would be brilliant.

Regards

Dave

Richard Pawson Jackson is commemorated on the Stockport War Memorial. Presumably another example of the twon's organising committee believing everything it read in the newspapers - the Advertiser had published his obituary in 1916.

I don't know if you already have this information, Dave, but here's the link to my website:

http://www.stockport1914-1918.co.uk/soldier.php?name_id=1419

John

Richard Pawson Jackson is commemorated on the Stockport War Memorial. Presumably another example of the twon's organising committee believing everything it read in the newspapers - the Advertiser had published his obituary in 1916.

I don't know if you already have this information, Dave, but here's the link to my website:

http://www.stockport1914-1918.co.uk/soldier.php?name_id=1419

John

Hi John

Thanks for that, I didn't know any of that. On his records there is a few letters to his wife Mrs L Jackson refering to pay for the up keep of there child, but she was refused an increase due to her affair with a man called kelly.He was repatriated on the 17/03/19.

If you haven't seen them i can email you all i have?

Once again thanks for the extra info

Dave

Dave

It's OK - I have Ancestry membership and I'll update the page in due course.

That's now three on that on the town memorial who were not, in fact, dead (including the man who never even existed).

John

Dave,

The camp is usually spelt as Grafenwöhr. Cecile has it down as a principal camp. I am not sure of what she means by that but it was not a head camp. The photographs that I have are unclear as to what the camp was. The cemetery is quite large so it must have been a big camp. Reading between the lines it was probably a military camp or attached to one. Mrs P-H is not clear but references a parade ground so there must have been a military camp there. As far as I can tell there were few, if any, British there, mostly French. There do not appear to have been any visits to it by the Americans. The reason I say there may have been no British there is that your man was in a hospital which was not necessarily at the camp. The hospital was visited by the Americans and there is a report in FO383/265 with a list of prisoners there (British). If there were British in the camp I am sure they would have visited at the same time. The hospital report does not seem to have been published (the Americans asked the British Government to stop publishing the reports as it was upsetting the Germans)

Doug

Dave,

The camp is usually spelt as Grafenwöhr. Cecile has it down as a principal camp. I am not sure of what she means by that but it was not a head camp. The photographs that I have are unclear as to what the camp was. The cemetery is quite large so it must have been a big camp. Reading between the lines it was probably a military camp or attached to one. Mrs P-H is not clear but references a parade ground so there must have been a military camp there. As far as I can tell there were few, if any, British there, mostly French. There do not appear to have been any visits to it by the Americans. The reason I say there may have been no British there is that your man was in a hospital which was not necessarily at the camp. The hospital was visited by the Americans and there is a report in FO383/265 with a list of prisoners there (British). If there were British in the camp I am sure they would have visited at the same time. The hospital report does not seem to have been published (the Americans asked the British Government to stop publishing the reports as it was upsetting the Germans)

Doug

Hi Doug

Thanks for the info.

Where do i find that list of prisoners you refered to FO383/265? I've put a search on the national archive but no joy?

My man could of been at the hospital as the info i have says he was visited by members of the American embassy and he had been wounded in both legs bellow the knee.

Thanks again

Dave

Dave,

There is no doubt as to him being in the hospital, Laz = Hospital.

On TNA web site "Search the archives - the cagalogue". Go to search and enter Grafenwöhr as I have spelt it and FO383 in the series on the search page.

NB the list is not there, just a reference to it.

Doug

• 3 months later...
Hi All

I have just recieved in the post this morning a victory medal for the above soldier which i am very pleased about as i already have his 14/15 star, just need to track down his BWM if it still survives?

I've downloaded his service records which make a very interesting read. He was reported as killed in action on the 26/08/16 and then he is listed as a prisoner of war at Laz. Grafenwoehr!

Regards

Dave

I was intrigued to read your post about Richard Pawson Jackson23347,he was my dad's uncle,he died in York in 1961,he married Lily Whitling in 1914 & they had a daughter Monica in 1916,I think while he was away on active service,I believe he returned to england after his release from pow camp on new years eve 1918 whether he got back together with his wife I do not know medals.me.uk has one of his medals for sale(maybe you have recently acquired it)all the best

• 2 months later...
Hi All

Regards

Dave

Does anybody know which battle R P Jackson 23347 was wounded on 26 aug 1916?

He was my great uncle

• 1 month later...
Does anybody know which battle R P Jackson 23347 was wounded on 26 aug 1916?

His service papers are available on Ancestry.

These show that he was serving with the 2nd Battalion, Manchester Regiment and that he was wounded and taken prisoner (presumably on 26 August 1916 when he was reported killed in action).

This is actually quite odd as there is nothing in the war diary to indicate they were in action at the time. I've researched another Stockport man (Norman Higham) who was killed on the 28th. On the 23rd, the Manchesters had taken over a section of the front line at Cuinchy from the 5/6th Royal Scots. It was a very quiet time - they were just holding the line and there is no mention of casualties during the tour of duty (not unusual for this battalion's diary).

Such a quiet time does not seem consistent with Richard being wounded by shrapnel and taken prisoner. It suggests to me one or two possibilities. Either he was not actually serving with 2/Manc at the time but with another unknown unit or the date of 26 August is simply wrong and he was wounded sometime before or after. I suspect you may never know.

• 2 weeks later...

Cuinchy 24th Aug 1916

Bn in trenches, Cuinchy subsector,cas x 1 man wounded,no trench morter or artillery activity enemy inactive.

Cuinchy 25th Aug 1916

Bn in trenches, Cuinchy subsector, Two mines were exploded in front of Bn on our right at 8:30pm, enemy shelled our right company front at 8:40pm after the exploding the mines.

Cuinchy 26th Aug 1916

Bn in trenches, Cuinchy subsector No hostile artillery or morter.

I would not class the 25th as "Such a quiet time" John, He could have been missed from the WD as you say.

Facinating story about Private Jackson. For those who have access to Ancestry well worth trawling through to get the picture.

Did he return to his wife after the war is the 64,000 dollar question?

Steve :huh:

Did he return to his wife after the war is the 64,000 dollar question?

Dunno Steve. CheshireBMD has no indication that Lily Jackson had any more children (at least not registered in the county). She doesnt appear to have died locally so possible that they did get back together and she also died in York. Of course, she may have continued to "take up" with Kelly.

• 2 months later...
Dunno Steve. CheshireBMD has no indication that Lily Jackson had any more children (at least not registered in the county). She doesnt appear to have died locally so possible that they did get back together and she also died in York. Of course, she may have continued to "take up" with Kelly.

I have Lily Jackson living at 29 Stanhope St Reddish Stocport in 1929 under her maiden name Lily Whiteling. Richard Pawson Jackson lived in Dukinfield after 1918 and later at Dale St York where he died in 1961

• 3 weeks later...
I have Lily Jackson living at 29 Stanhope St Reddish Stocport in 1929 under her maiden name Lily Whiteling. Richard Pawson Jackson lived in Dukinfield after 1918 and later at Dale St York where he died in 1961

Hi Jacko

I am sadly getting rid of my medal collection and before they all go to auction i thought i would offer you RP jacksons medals, it would be nice for them to return to the family.

You can have them for what i paid and i'll pay postage.

Regards

Dave

Hi Jacko

I am sadly getting rid of my medal collection and before they all go to auction i thought i would offer you RP jacksons medals, it would be nice for them to return to the family.

You can have them for what i paid and i'll pay postage.

Regards

Dave

Hi Dave,nice of you to think of me,I'd love to buy uncle Richards medals,which ones have you got & how much would you like for them,kind regards,Mike Jackson.

Nice one Dave,

You are a true Gentleman.

This forum and its members never cease to impress.

Regards,

Garry

Hi Dave,nice of you to think of me,I'd love to buy uncle Richards medals,which ones have you got & how much would you like for them,kind regards,Mike Jackson.

Hi Mike

I have his victory medal which I got from a guy in canada?? and his 1914/15 star which you did see for sale on medals.me.

You can have them for what i paid £60 and i'll send them special delivery or If your local you could pick them up?I've also got copys of his service papers if you would like them aswell?

I think you need 10 posts to send a private message? So we can arrange delivery.

Hope this is ok for you?

Regards

Dave

wonderful outcome, FYI, just in case this is another relative, I have in my collection a Geo V Territorial Army Efficiency Medal to 700035 Pte. A.W. Jackson 23 Lond. R.

Hi Mike

I have his victory medal which I got from a guy in canada?? and his 1914/15 star which you did see for sale on medals.me.

You can have them for what i paid £60 and i'll send them special delivery or If your local you could pick them up?I've also got copys of his service papers if you would like them aswell?

I think you need 10 posts to send a private message? So we can arrange delivery.

Hope this is ok for you?

Regards

Dave

Hi,Dave ,would you like to email me at thehurst@ymail.com to arrange delivery & payment,regards Mike

wonderful outcome, FYI, just in case this is another relative, I have in my collection a Geo V Territorial Army Efficiency Medal to 700035 Pte. A.W. Jackson 23 Lond. R.
Srry mate I have no A W Jackson in my tree