Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Henry (J) Chapman Northampton Regiment and East Surrey Regimen

dottie59

I know if anyone can help me it is someone on here..........I am researching William Henry (J) Chapman.

I am seeking to find the Medal Roll Index Card and Service Records, or anything at all with relation to William Henry (J) Chapman

Henry William CHAPMAN joined the Northampton Regiment on 24 October 1891. At the time he was living in Sydenham and transferred from No. 4 Company of the East Surrey Regiment. It has not been possible to establish the date that he joined East Surrey.

attestation papers state that he had on his disciplinary record an absence from training (with East Surrey) for which he was fined 40 shillings! The papers show that he was 5 foot 5 inches, 115 pounds with a fresh complexion, brown eyes, dark hair, and a mole on his front neck.

He was initially a private but then promoted to Lance Corporal on 23 April 1898, to Sergeant on 1 November 1903 and to Pioneer Sergeant on 1 November 1903. He was discharged 5 April 1904.

His service was as follows:

29 Oct 1891 to 20 October 1899 Home 7 years 358 days

21 October 1899 to 28 June 1900 South Africa 250 days

29 June 1900 to 5 May 1901 Home 310 days

6 May 1901 to 5 April 1904 South Africa 2 years 338 days

His total service was for 12 years 161 days.

On 22 February 1899 he qualified as the Battalion Chiropodist

He was awarded the QSA Medal (3 clasps) and KSA Medal (2 clasps)

thank you for your time........:)

What sort of help do you require?

Are you enquiring about his service in WW1, or before, or both?

Do you have a regimental number for him?

The Muster Roll of the 2nd Battalion in 1897 has the following Chapmans:

Private W Chapman - F Company (under Captain Edward Osborne Smith - later commanded 1st Battalion in 1914)

Private J Chapman - D Company (under Captain George Addison Bramwell)

Private H Chapman - G Company (under Lieutenant Marmaduke Oswald Norman Rees-Webbe)

Steve.

Hi Steve, World War 1, I have no other information apart from the listings above .......trying to find his military service records and medal roll index card if possible... I'll have another hunt around later to see if I can find any other information ie Service Number......

thanks for your time.......:)

I suspect that he may have been at the top end of the age limit for service in the Great War, as he would have been 44 at the outbreak. He may have been involved in a training capacity in the UK, however, or it is possible he served with a non-front line Corps like the Royal Engineers or Army Service Corps.

If I can ask a couple of questions, please.

Did he live in Northamptonshire by the time of the war, or elsewhere?

Can you tell me whether he was William Henry or Henry William?

Where has your current information (e.g. his Boer War service) come from? WO97 records, perhaps?

Steve.

William Henry J Chapman 1869 Croydon - 1927 Croydon was living in Sydenham when he enlisted in the Northampton Regiment in 1891. That I do know.......

All information was given to me by distant relative.....and sadly they do not have any further information...

thanks for your time Steve..........

The uniform is not the Northamptonshire Regiment.

The bandolier is usually worn by soldiers who are involved in horse work, as is the white lanyard.

The chevrons on his sleeve denote 5 years good conduct (though it could take longer if there were some entries on the soldier's conduct sheet).

The cap-badge is not that of the Northamptonshire Regiment, nor is it the East Surrey Regiment.

Is there any chance of an enlarged image of the cap badge?

Steve.

The uniform is not the Northamptonshire Regiment.

The bandolier is usually worn by soldiers who are involved in horse work, as is the white lanyard.

The chevrons on his sleeve denote 5 years good conduct (though it could take longer if there were some entries on the soldier's conduct sheet).

The cap-badge is not that of the Northamptonshire Regiment, nor is it the East Surrey Regiment.

Is there any chance of an enlarged image of the cap badge?

Unable to enlarge Steve, only able to do this........but will try again....... thank you so much for your time......

not any better I am afraid.......:(

Steve.

post-47041-1250516973.jpg

post-47041-1250517317.jpg