Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Map Request - Epehy Area

Tony Ring

Hi.

Can someone point me in the right direction - Map Ref: 57. SE 62C NE.

My great uncle - Lt. Leslie Ring, 3rd Batt London Regiment was killed on the 18th Sept 1918 at Epehy.

The maps may assist with my research into his death.

Thank you.

Tony

I researched a soldier for a work colleague earlier this year, his great uncle was killed at Epehy on the same date as your man 18 Sept 1918.

He was with the Leicester regiment, and is buried in the same cemetery as your great uncle, Epehy Wood farm cemetery. I have some general photos of the cemetery (taken in March), as well as the area the Leicestershire's were attacking when he was killed. So if the 3rd Batt London regiment were in the same area when your uncle was KIA, the map I have attached may be of help to you. The Leicestershire were in the area of Cricketer trench at this time (red flag)..the map is from "Linesman", If you need a blow up of any of the areas on the map, just let me know

regards

Tom

post-5284-1250356548.jpg

Your Great Uncles grave is 6 rows up on the right.......

Tom

post-5284-1250357764.jpg

Hi

Have you any trneches or posts named that can pinpoint the area within the map?

Regards

Martin

Martin.

I know the 3rd London Regiment and the 1/1 Cambridgeshires eventually took Fishers Keep during the day and presume that they came in along side the 2nd London Regiment who took on Peiziere with Tottenham, McLean & Morgans Posts.

I am trying to find out the name of his unit to help me narrow down where he was fighting that day.

Tony

I researched a soldier for a work colleague earlier this year, his great uncle was killed at Epehy on the same date as your man 18 Sept 1918.

He was with the Leicester regiment, and is buried in the same cemetery as your great uncle, Epehy Wood farm cemetery. I have some general photos of the cemetery (taken in March), as well as the area the Leicestershire's were attacking when he was killed. So if the 3rd Batt London regiment were in the same area when your uncle was KIA, the map I have attached may be of help to you. The Leicestershire were in the area of Cricketer trench at this time (red flag)..the map is from "Linesman", If you need a blow up of any of the areas on the map, just let me know

regards

Tom

post-5284-1250356548.jpg

Tom.

Thats thrown me a curved ball as I was under the impression the 3rd London came in from the south to hit Fishers Keep. Cricketer Trench appears to be behind the village to the ? North.

Any chance of a blow up of the map in the Fishers Keep area, this also appears to be a short distance to the cemetery at Wood Farm.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Tony

Your Great Uncles grave is 6 rows up on the right.......

Tom

post-5284-1250357764.jpg

Tom

Thank you, it looks a beautiful setting. My son was there about 8 years ago before I really became interested in finding out about Leslie Ring.

In another posting I was asking about the spacing between the headstones and your excellent photograph shows this. Apparently the spaces indicate single plots and the ones touching, a trench.

Appreciate your assistance.

Tony

Tony..sorry didn't mean to mislead you about the position of your man in the attack on Epehy, I just wodered if the 3rd London's were operating in support, or along the close flank of the Leicestershire's as I know they were in the area I marked on the map

Here's the blow up Fishers keep as requested......(from Linesman)

regards

Tom

post-5284-1250401204.jpg

Tony..sorry didn't mean to mislead you about the position of your man in the attack on Epehy, I just wodered if the 3rd London's were operating in support, or along the close flank of the Leicestershire's as I know they were in the area I marked on the map

Here's the blow up Fishers keep as requested......(from Linesman)

regards

Tom

post-5284-1250401204.jpg

Tom.

No problem. I am just floundering around going back in time and trying to work out what happened 90 odd years ago. Once I find out what platoon he was in (this is the million dollar question) I should have a clearer picture. He could well have gone through the village to the area you describe.

I really appreciate the very clear blow up of the map and your valuable assistance.

Tony

• 4 years later...

Morgan Post , Epehy . Photo taken Sept 2011.post-84374-0-68345100-1405882470_thumb.j