Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

856 Horse Transport Company

potoole

My Granddfather served in the Army service Corps and according to the absent voter list was a driver in 856 HT Coy.

I believe they were attached to the 28th Divisional Train and spent most, if not all, of the war in Salonika.

He received the Silver War Badge but the entry in the SWB roll at Kew is fairly sparse and just says he was wounded.

Can anyone help with any further information on the unit, its movements or members.

Thanks,

• 2 months later...

Hello Touchstone.

Welcome to the site.

My own grandfather was initially in the Army Service Corps and part of a Horse Transport section. He was part of the 238 company in the ASC and was sent out to Salonika. He spent a lot of time in one of the hospitals with Malaria. He later volunteered for the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.

I would be interested to know where your grandfather came from.

ASHleigh.

Hello Touchstone.

Welcome to the site.

My own grandfather was initially in the Army Service Corps and part of a Horse Transport section. He was part of the 238 company in the ASC and was sent out to Salonika. He spent a lot of time in one of the hospitals with Malaria. He later volunteered for the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.

ASHleigh.

Hello Touchstone.

Welcome to the site.

ASHleigh.

Thanks for the response.

My Grandfather came from the Hockley area of Birmingham.

He worked as a Stock and Stores controller in a large Brass Foundry.