Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1 Bn RSF but what UNIT?

Q98

Seeking UNIT information regarding Private Robert McCREADIE, 12647. 1st Bn, RSF.

Robert, my grandfather's younger brother, died 16 Jun 1915 and commemorated on Panels 19 and 33, Ypres Memorial.

He enlisted in Ardrossan, Ayrshire, and at the time of his death, 1 Bn RSF was serving in the trenches at Bellewaarde,

in the area of the Ypres Salient.

I am returning to Scotland in late-September and intend to give each member of my family a complete history of our ancestors. Any advice on Robert's Unit or how I can locate same would be gratefully appreciated.

Q98

Warrant Officer (Retd)

RAAF

1st RSF were engaged in the first line of the attack on Bellewarde on that day. 140 officers and 3391 men lost by 3rd Div that day.

Seeking UNIT information regarding Private Robert McCREADIE, 12647. 1st Bn, RSF.

Robert, my grandfather's younger brother, died 16 Jun 1915 and commemorated on Panels 19 and 33, Ypres Memorial.

He enlisted in Ardrossan, Ayrshire, and at the time of his death, 1 Bn RSF was serving in the trenches at Bellewaarde,

in the area of the Ypres Salient.

I am returning to Scotland in late-September and intend to give each member of my family a complete history of our ancestors. Any advice on Robert's Unit or how I can locate same would be gratefully appreciated.

Q98

Warrant Officer (Retd)

RAAF

Hi Q98. I'm not sure that I understand your query. Your Greatuncle's unit was the 1st Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers, as you say. What is it you wish to know?

Hi Q98. I'm not sure that I understand your query. Your Greatuncle's unit was the 1st Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers, as you say. What is it you wish to know?

Thanks for swift replies guys. Seeking eg: D Coy, 2 Platoon or similar. A Battalion is a large formation. He was probably an infantryman but what element (for want of a better word) of 1 Bn did he belong to. That's what I'm searching for.

Q98

Fremantle

Western Australia

I'm afraid you are unlikely to find that, Q98. It might be mentioned in his service record, if you are lucky enough to find it, but in most cases the sub-units below battalion level are not given.

B.... other :angry: ! That's what I suspected. Ah well, that's genealogy; some missing small fact that you simply cannot let go of.

Thanks lads.

Q98

Fremantle

Western Australia

Q98

There is a couple of enteries in the Ayrshire Roots Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald WW1 Database. One of them appears to have a photo of Robert. You can search online to confirm if the have an obit etc but you cant viewthem online.

These can be viewed at the Library in Ardrossan