Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Croonart Wood trenches

Terry Carter

Visited the newley opened Croonart Wood trench system on Sunday afternoon (18/4/04). Very good. Eddie Bostin (sorry if I spelt the name wrong) was our guide and did a fantastic job of explaining of what went on around the area.

Once I get sorted I will put a few pictures on for you to see.

Terry

As promised here are some pictures of the newley opened Croonart Wood trenches.

The bottom left hand corner is the Covered display area near the entrance. Here there is a large bronze 3-d type map of the Messines battlefield showing trench lines and the position of all the mines blown on 7 june, 1917.

The trenches connect up to all the concrete block-houses within this section of the wood. There are also two shafts that went down to German listening galleries that went underground to our lines.

post-4-1082451175.jpg

This composite shows a close up of the Bronze relief map.

For the opening weekend there was also a large tent erected alongside the road adjacent to the entrance for refreshments. Unfortunately it poured of rain most of Sunday.

The Germans lined their trenches with willow. However there is not much left in this part of Belgium and many thousand willow strips had to be imported from Poland to line the trenches.

Well worth a visit

Terry

post-4-1082451543.jpg

Nice pics Terry!!!

Hi Kristoph

It was nice meeting you and Patrick on Saturday evening in the Ramparts. We did a return visit on Sunday evening and had a look around the very interesting museum there aswell.

Terry

havr you seen our muddy, flooded trench?

What are the opening arrangements for Bayernwald? I may well bring my pupils there on 23rd October as we will be going from Ploegsteert to Poperinge during our tour. Can it cope with 60 pupils and 7 teachers?

What are the opening arrangements for Bayernwald? I may well bring my pupils there on 23rd October as we will be going from Ploegsteert to Poperinge during our tour. Can it cope with 60 pupils and 7 teachers?

Mark, I asked about this when I was having a look round Zonnebeke Chateau last week. The plan is that groups book via the Zonnebeke tourist office (the gatehouse beside the Chateau entrance) and the group leader will be given a code to open the gate onto Croonaert Wood site. The code will be changed every week or less.

Tom

The plan is that groups book via the Zonnebeke tourist office (the gatehouse beside the Chateau entrance) and the group leader will be given a code to open the gate onto Croonaert Wood site. The code will be changed every week or less.

Hello Tom

Do you know if this goes for individuals as well?

Andy

All reservations can be made by the Tourist Office Heuvelland:

Reningelststraat 11

B-8950 Heuvelland Kemmel

Telephone : +3257 450455

Fax : +3257 448999

Email : heuvelland@toerismevlaanderen.be

The plan is that groups book via the Zonnebeke tourist office (the gatehouse beside the Chateau entrance) and the group leader will be given a code to open the gate onto Croonaert Wood site.  The code will be changed every week or less.

Hello Tom

Do you know if this goes for individuals as well?

Andy

Andy - I can't be certain but yes, I believe so. Robert has given lots of contact details including an email address which will be useful in finding out.

Tom

Hello Robert and Tom

Thanks very much..an email will be winging its way shortly.

Andy

Hello Tom,

Just for your information : the tourist office of Zonnebeke moved into the castle today. They have a brand new office there and it does look nice but not half as good as the museum... :)

Charlotte

Hi,

charlotte nice too meet you here too !!!

greets,

kristof

• 1 year later...
Guest Simon Bull

Could I ask if any Pal has up to date information re these trenches?

What are the present access arrangements?

Can small groups (ie a family group of 4) go?

Exactly where are the trenches?

Have people continued to experience the problems with access which have been described in other threads?

I was at Bayernwald last April and it worked just as described. Go to the tourist office in Kemmel to pay a small fee and get the security code for the gate. Proceed to the site and enter as you instructed. The site has numerous display boards under shelter and the trenches and bunkers as stated elsewhere. The site is surprisingly small, partly due to the shrinkage of the forest over the years.

The only complaint I had was the lack of parking (space for 1-2 vehicles on the road). Also, don't turn down the lane to the entrance as there is no parking and no place to turn around short of entering the farm in the valley below. The tourist office will also give you a map indicating the location; it is only a few km north of Wijtschate. Leave Witjschate northwest towards Vierstraat; approximately 1 km from the center of town and just after the road curves to the left, turn right onto a country road. This road goes through Kroonaard Wood, across some open fields to a lane on the right to Bayernwald. Park at this intersection and walk 100 meters or so to the gate.

Guest Simon Bull
I was at Bayernwald last April and it worked just as described. Go to the tourist office in Kemmel to pay a small fee and get the security code for the gate. Proceed to the site and enter as you instructed. The site has numerous display boards under shelter and the trenches and bunkers as stated elsewhere. The site is surprisingly small, partly due to the shrinkage of the forest over the years.

The only complaint I had was the lack of parking (space for 1-2 vehicles on the road). Also, don't turn down the lane to the entrance as there is no parking and no place to turn around short of entering the farm in the valley below. The tourist office will also give you a map indicating the location; it is only a few km north of Wijtschate. Leave Witjschate northwest towards Vierstraat; approximately 1 km from the center of town and just after the road curves to the left, turn right onto a country road. This road goes through Kroonaard Wood, across some open fields to a lane on the right to Bayernwald. Park at this intersection and walk 100 meters or so to the gate.

Thanks Robert - this is just the information I was looking for.

For those who have not seen Croonaert Wood in it's former -desolate- state, some videostills from seven years ago. Personally I think the sorry state of the trenches makes the atmosphere even more chilling...

regards

Roel

post-5443-1137772130.jpeg post-5443-1137772102.jpeg

Some more...

post-5443-1137772235.jpeg

post-5443-1137772249.jpeg