Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

air mail

west coast

. i came across this pic in another site. anyone got any info on the tank, or method of relase of pigeon , was this a usual way.

mike.

Mike

Just because this was on another website does not mean you can automatically copy it and republish it. Copyright may be owned by someone, maybe a museum and such action could be a breach of copyright. If the original is owned by a news/photo agency such as Corbis you could owe them some money?

Sorry, but as an ex professional photographer copyright on photos is a sensitive issue with me.

John

Sorry, but I have to agree with John on this one. A better method, not infringing copyright, would have been to provide a link to the site rather than just copy the image.

Having said that, I'm pretty sure I've seen similar images regarding the release of pigeons from a similarly shuttered aperature. On the downside, I can't remember where. :blush:

I also seem to remember a reference to pigeons being issued to tank crews at Passchendaele but again can't quite remember the exact reference. I'll have a look though and see if I can dig it out.

As for the photo, i've seen it published in a book captioned as a German tank - unless it's a Beutepanzer, it's a British heavy tank, a Male, I believe either a Mk IV or V. From what I know, this was the usual method of release

This is quite a well known photograph (IWM or Tank Museum?), and I've seen it in several books. It looks as though whoever put it on the other website has photographed it in a book, so lots of copyright problems...

Pigeons were issued to tank crews and kept in a basket often apparently stored beneath the commander's seat. I assume that a method of release that minimised the risk to the crew was to be preferred, and this looks about as safe as it might get.

Gwyn

I'm currently reading "Band of Brigands" by Chirsty Campbell, a book based on diaries, letters etc of WW1 tankers and this photo is in it. First hand accounts suggest the pigeons were not as effective as hoped since they were partly gassed by fumes, stupyfied by noise and coated with oil. The hole is supposed to be a pistol/small arms port I believe.

thank you all for your advice on copyrights etc on reproducing photos, i wasn`t aware thinking like that as i took it from a forum and presumed it was ok. to be honest the real reason i posted it here was , i lost my original method of resizeing images and posting them and started using a new one [picasa] but i was having difficulties getting it right.

mike.