Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Queen's Own Yorkshire Dragoons

Guest jancon

My father William Henry Brunt was in the Queen's Own Yorkshire Dragoons from 1914-1919. So far I have made contact with two more descendents of the QOYDs. We would like to share info with any others, and would be grateful for any information on the regiment, who were a cycle regiment by the end of the war.

• 6 months later...
My father William Henry Brunt was in the Queen's Own Yorkshire Dragoons from 1914-1919. So far I have made contact with two more descendents of the QOYDs. We would like to share info with any others, and would be grateful for any information on the regiment, who were a cycle regiment by the end of the war.

My Grandfather was in Yorkshire Dragoons, 24 Aug 1915 - 17 Feb 1919

Name was Ernest Victor Hodgson

Seems he was disembodied in Canterbury, according to Certificate of Demobilisation.

I believe he was moved to Germany after Nov 1918

I know not much else...so far.

Hi Brunt,

just a bit of background in case you dont have it.

Col. William Mackenzie Smith, he took over from Lord Scarborough in 1914. Awarded the DSO in 1917. Married Lady Mabel in 1899, the sister of the 7th Earl Fitzwilliam of Wentworth Woodhouse. He carried on as a solicitor after the war when at the age of 80 he became the President of the Law Society of England and Wales.

post-17978-1268081600.jpg

I have contact details for one of his relatives, so a possible source of info there.

Dean.

brunt

You could get to read the War Diaries at Kew,a grand day out !

WO95/664 the whole unit was attached to II Corps from May 1916 to Mar 1919. Before this they were split and the Squadrons were deployed as:

WO95/1991 "A" to 17 Division from Jul 1915 to May 1916,

WO95/2521 "B" to 37 Division from Aug 1915 to Apr 1916,and,

WO95/2067 "C" to 19 Division from JUn 1915 to May 1916.

Sotonmate