Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Soldiers Unit

Ghost

Just a quickie, on a MIC I have downloaded, the soldiers corps is stated as "T R B". I'm sure I'll kick myself, but what is "T R B"?

Alan

Hi Alan

Cound be Traing Reserve Battalion ?

Annette

Training Reserve Battalion sounds like a good call.

Steve

Annette,

I had that in mind, his previous occupation was pupil teacher, so TR Bn as in his pension record would fit. I was puzzled why he would have a different number. As you see he was one of your lot, but prior to that rejected by ASC, fussy the waggoners.

William Marchant Chetwynd

Alan

Hi Alan

I see he is ex K.S.L.I. and you mention his pension which is great because I am looking for all K.S.L.I. service & pension papers.

Annette

Hi again Alan

Could I ask how many pages of his pension you found, I could only find three (well 4 but two pages were the same), also at first I through that William Marchant, Chetwynd in the pension was not the same William Marchant, Chetwynd in the M.I.C. but then noticed the R.E. number. Looks like he enlisted in the A.S.C. & then discharged, it's a shame that none of the pages relate to the K.S.L.I. or any of the other units mentioned on the M.I.C.

From his K.S.L.I. number I know he re-enlisted about 27-11-15, also from his K.L.R. number I know he transfarred to them on 01-05-17 because I have the paper of two other K.S.L.I. lads who transfarred to the K.L.R. with numbers very close.

I had that in mind, his previous occupation was pupil teacher, so TR Bn as in his pension record would fit.

I do not think being a teacher would have much to do with him going to a T.R. Batt., all sorts of men ended up being transfarred to T.R. Battalions.

Annette

Hi Annette,

I have two sets of pension papers for this man. One Just ASC, the other covering the rest of his service. 2+7, plus 6 serv record for rest of service.

He was 5th and 7th Bn KSLI, and possibly TR Bn kSLI, this is the one that stumps me.

If you would care to send me your e-mail address I will forward the pages to yourself.

I have an Eli Chetwynd also, but no papers.

Regards Alan

Hi Alan

Thanks for offer but I have now found rest of his papers, I had only looked in the pension section and had not throught to look under service papers. I still may not have found all of them because I can not find any mention of the 7th Batt. in the ones I have downloaded. The ones I have record the following

Posted to Depot 29-11-15

Posted to 3rd Batt. 07-12-15

Posted to 5th Batt. 28-04-16

Posted to Depot 06-03-17

The second page of his Statement of services page also records the 49th T.R. Battalion.

I have also noticed that his medal card is incorrect it records the date of entery into theatre of war as 07-12-15, which I throught was odd yesterday but after looking at his pages I now know it is incorrect, he was posted to the 3rd Battalion on the 07-12-15, which did not go overseas. I think a clark as mistook this for a service battalion. I wonder if he actually recieved the 15 star ?

Annette

Annette,

I'm like the clerk it seems. I have mixed up the 7th Bn of Eli with 3rd of William. So all the dates are as on the papers I have.

I take it the 49th Training Bn is K.S.L.I. as well?

When he was transferred to the the R.Es. on 16-4-18 I can not make out what was the name of the unit he was posted to, except for the word "Branch" (ominous), can you make it out?

Neither do I understand "W.C. Lit Centre" Posted Pte 26-9-17. That seems to be the posting to the Liverpool Regt.

I see what you mean about the 15 Star. Well if the MIC is incorrect and he did recieve the star, Im sure he would have been a decent chap and informed the medal people of the mistake! Now I wonder who has them?

Alan

Hi Alan

I do not know a lot about T. R. Battalions. A lot of K.S.L.I. lads trans. to the 48th T. R. Battalion but William went from the K.L.R., so I would guess the 49th had a connection to Liverpool area.

I am on my lap top at moment, so will look at his papers tomorrow, I think the Liverpool posting was to the Works Battalion, which I think became part of Labour Corps ?, the chap who could shed more light on the matter would be Ivor Lee, anyway I'll get back to you tomorrow.

Annette

Alan

Looking at his record he seems to have been moved around a lot during 1917. These are the parts relating to his Labour Corps service.

1-5-17 Transferred to 23rd Works Battalion King's Liverpool [This Battalion became No 1 Battalion, Labour Corps in May 1917]

1-5-17

19-5-17 Transferred to 49 Training Reserve Battalion

6-7-17 Transferred to 540 Home Service Company, Labour Corps

26-9-17 Posted to Western Command Labour Centre [part of the Labour Corps]

12-10-17 Posted to 546 Company, Labour Corps

22-3-18 Back to WCLC

27-3-18 Posted to 362 Company, Labour Corps

Alan

Apologies caught send before I had finished!

Looking at his record he seems to have been moved around a lot during 1917. These are the parts relating to his Labour Corps service.

1-5-17 Transferred to 23rd Works Battalion King's Liverpool [This Battalion became No 1 Battalion, Labour Corps in May 1917]

1-5-17 Transferred to 1 Battalion, Labour Corps

19-5-17 Transferred to 49 Training Reserve Battalion

6-7-17 Transferred to 540 Home Service Company, Labour Corps [An Employment Company stationed at Prees Heath]

26-9-17 Posted to Western Command Labour Centre [stationed at Oswestry part of the Labour Corps]

12-10-17 Posted to 546 Company, Labour Corps [Employment Company stationad at Kimnel Park]

22-3-18 Back to WCLC

27-3-18 Posted to 362 Reserve Company, Labour Corps [Oswestry - at WCLC]

Ivor

Ivor I know you were the chap to ask anything Labour Corps related. :D

Annette