Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Argyle & Sutherland Highlanders

DavoT

Hi all,

just a query! I recently acquired a pair to a chap initially in A&SH, later commissioned into HLI. I always thought the unit details was stamped/inscribed A & SH. My pair has A. & S. HIGHRS - the underlined being in smaller font. Were they both common? Thanks in advance.

David

The style of naming you describe with the underlining is usually found on the 1914 or 1914-15 Star. It seems to be common to all Highland regiment. I can't recall seeing it on the Victory or BWM, but will check.

Is the naming on the Star?

Regards,

Stewart

I have only ever found BWMs and victory medals (no stars) inscribed A. & S.H. I have seen stars, BWMs and victories named to A. & S. HIGHRS. But whilst stars have the HIGHRS I have never seen this on the BWM or victories. If you have medals so impressed I would suggest that they were late issues or replacements.

Hello Jim,

thanks for your response and comments. They are impressed that way and attached is his MIC for perusal.

Regards,

David

post-27290-1250046118.jpg

I am not that experienced, however I believe that the naming of medals was done by various companies, so it is not uncommon to see different styles of naming to the same regiment. However it is unusssual to find HIGHRS underlined. Both medals could have been impressed by different people. Just a thought.

A Martin

Thoughts and comments always welcome and thanks for dropping by. One never stops learning from this forum.

Cheers,

David