Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1914 (Mons) & 1915 Star medal ribbons

steve fuller

Hi all

When were the medal ribbons (specifically) first issued to men in the field, for wearing on their uniforms?

I ask as it will help me date a photograph ...

Many thanks.

Steve

The copy page of the 1914 Star Medal Roll I have,for a Scots Battalion,was compiled in Hamilton in January 1918.

Presumably the ribbons were distributed to the relevant man shortly afterwards, assuming supply kept up with demand. :D

George

Thank you all, fits in with what is on my regimental medal roll books, but thought it best not to assume.

The 1914-15 Star was not authorised until 1919.

My relatives medals (Royal Newfoundland Regiment) were received in mid 1921...any idea why it took so long?

thanks,

shawn

Thought this chronology from The Times might be of interest

Monday, Nov 26, 1917; pg. 5; Issue 41645; col C; Article CS84871546

1914 Star" In Bronze. The New Decoration For Early Service.

An Army Order issued on Saturday announces that the King has been pleased to signify his pleasure to recognise, by the grant of a distinctive decoration, the services rendered by his Majesty's Military Forces under the command of Field Marshall Sir J.D.P. French G.C.B., G.C.V.O., K.C.M.G, in France and Belgium during the earlier phase of the war in 1914, up to midnight November 22-23, 1914 ...

...The decision to grant a distinctive decoration to those who served in France and Belgium in the early part of the war was announced in The Times of September 10.

Monday, Dec 10, 1917; pg. 5; Issue 41657; col C; Article CS84740490

The "1914 Star." Description Of Design And Riband.

...Every Effort is being made to ensure that this Srar shall be produced as soon as possible but owing to the scarcity of labour the issue will not be begun for some months; The manufacture of the riband is, however, bein expedited and a supply will shortly be ready. The first issue of the riband will be made to troops serving overseas.

Tuesday, Dec 11, 1917; pg. 3; Issue 41658; col C; Article CS51972491

The 1914 Star

Category: Picture Gallery

gives an illustration showing a 'reproduction' of 'the 1914 Bronze Star'

Friday, Dec 28, 1917; pg. 6; Issue 41672; col E; Article CS102042012 1914 Star For The Navy. Regulations For Award.

Category: Official Appointments and Notices

Monday, May 27, 1918; pg. 5; Issue 41800; col E;Article CS85527227

The 1914 Star. Unauthorized Wearing Of Ribbon.

Category: News

An Army Order states that it has been brought to notice that certain individuals who are not entitled to the award of the 1914 star are wearing the ribbon of this decoration. The wearing of the ribbon by officers and soldiers is governed by paragraph 1.738 King's regulations ( which deals with the wearing of the ribbon pending the issue of the medal). General Officers Commanding will take the necessary steps to ensure that the ribbon is worn only by those entitled to the star...

This shows that the ribbon for the '14 Star must have been being worn by May '18 & presumeably for some time before that.

Wednesday, Nov 20, 1918; pg. 9; Issue 41952; col F; Article CS152898420 The 1914-1915 Star. ENTITLED TO "1914-1915 STAR.".

Category: Letters to the Editor

To the Editor of the Times

Sir , - Mr. Macpherson announced in the House of Commons a few days ago that it was intended to give a star, to be called the "1914-1915 Star" to all officers and men who served in a theatre of war up to December 31, 1915....

Tuesday, Dec 24, 1918; pg. 8; Issue 41981; col C; Article CS135072664

1914-15 Star. Award To The Navy And Army.

Category: Official Appointments and Notices

1914-15 STAR

AWARD TO THE NAVY AND ARMY

The award of the 1914-15 Star to both the Navy and the Army is announced to-day

(The Army order & Admiralty Regulations relating to its issue are then given)

Monday, Jan 13, 1919; pg. 10; Issue 41996; col E; Article CS168234029

The "1914-15 Star" Riband.

Category: News

THE "1914-15 STAR" RIBAND.

It is notified in an Army Council Instruction that the riband of the "1914-15 STAR" may now be worn by officers and soldiers who are entitled to the award of the Star. The "1914-15 STAR" is a war medal and is to be worn as such in accordance with paragraph 54, Dress Regulations, and A.C.I. 1230 of 1918. The riband will be worn with the red edge to the right, i.e., with the red edge farthest from the left shoulder.

A preliminary issue of 3in. of the riband will be made in the case of each serving individual who is entitled to the star, but indents for riband are not to be submitted until after notification is given that stocks are available. Individual applications for riband are not to be submitted direct to the War Office.

This indicates that the earliest the ribbon (or Riband :rolleyes: ) for the '14-15 Star was allowed to be worn would have been January 1919 and that's assuming that 'stock' was actually available, which, of course, it might not have been.

NigelS

This indicates that the earliest the ribbon (or Riband :rolleyes: ) for the '14-15 Star was allowed to be worn would have been January 1919 and that's assuming that 'stock' was actually available, which, of course, it might not have been.

Considering the ribbon was identical to that of the 1914 Star, which had already been issued for about a year, it is probable that sufficient stock was already available by that time.

My relatives medals (Royal Newfoundland Regiment) were received in mid 1921...any idea why it took so long?

Not sure of the reason for the time delay but I have looked through a number of service files for the NFLD Rgt. and all the files that I looked at that had indications of this medal being issued were for 1921. I have by no means looked through all the records so can not assert that all men recived them in 1921, but the date of your relatives is in keeping with a number of other men.

Chris

With regards to the 1914-15 Star to the Royal Newfoundland Regiment I'm in no position to comment. With regards to the British War and Victory Medals, they were largely issued in the 1920s. The Criteria for award of the BWM was extended to events in 1920 and the peace treaty, with Germany, for WWI was not signed until 1919.

thanks,

shawn,

My deceased Uncle's 1914 Star was despatched by post on 24 February 1920.He was a member of a Scots Battalion.I've no idea when his War and Victory Medals were issued.

The letter that accompanied the Medal was pre-printed in 1919 so presumably issue commenced in that year but went on until at least 1920.

I appreciate this does not completely answer your question but administrative delay could be the answer.

George