Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pritchard bayonet - probably fake,

Heatseeker

Hey all, this bayonet just came to me via an inheritance.

The gent had a Webley .455, and when I was given this bayonet I was at first befuddled ... it looked familiar, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

MT1_6684.jpg

MT1_6685.jpg

A google search of the patent number quickly told me what it was, or is meant to be:

MT1_6686.jpg

[The whole item just doesn't have the age about it, and that porous leather looks very Indian ... I've heard of replica Pritchard bayonets being sold quite openly, but has anyone heard of a fake with markings?

Anyway, we're still trying to find the pistol, so I might just keep this bayonet to keep it company of it turns up. I dare not eBay it, because these things tend to turn up later dressed up as the real deal, so I'll keep this one out of circulation.

I would say almost certainly a fake. I think it was World Wide Arms that were selling these. They were also selling Mauser C96 stock/holster rigs with the German manufacturers stamps on them.

of course, in the fullness of time even these will become desirable!

Regards

TonyE

I would say almost certainly a fake. I think it was World Wide Arms that were selling these. They were also selling Mauser C96 stock/holster rigs with the German manufacturers stamps on them.

of course, in the fullness of time even these will become desirable!

Regards

TonyE

Thanks Tony ... I figure it will be some good kit for a re-enactor. I've since found pics of a real one, and the markings are amateurish by comparison. I have no objection to "representations", but when you go an try to replicate markings, that's bordering on fraud. As I said, I won't be releasing this fish back in to the ocean!

Glad to help.

Even as a repro, it is a fun add-on to arrive at the firing point with!

Cheers

TonyE

Glad to help.

Even as a repro, it is a fun add-on to arrive at the firing point with!

Cheers

TonyE

Just had a look at the World Wide Arms site and, yep, there it was - marked and all for 110 quid!

I have always assumed all these were fake, I can remember them being sold as desirable items even in the late 70's and no one touched them.

Mick